Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by emmabobemma View Post
    Ooh good point Otter! I would love to have Montessori-schooled kiddos. Seems to produce a lot of independent, creative thinkers. I like the sound of your goddaughter's school. Is London like NYC, where people start freaking out and applying to pre-Harvard nursery schools as soon as they're pregnant?
    Oh yeah. It's crazy. You need the right nursery to get into Oxford . We're not doing a very prestigious one though, we're sending Rosalind to a Steiner or Montessori nursery.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Wow, great responses, everyone.

For years, I wanted a December baby, but now I'm not sure. My ex-roommate bday is on Dec 31st and she said she dislike it. My own birthday is in late June, and I'm also not sure how I feel about it. It's always on holiday, so no exam, which is great. But I used to be jealous with my other friends who have all their friends present on their birthday celebration. For me, it's difficult to meet any of them. March baby sounds fun, but if I can choose, I don't want my kids having their birthdays during exam period. And if I can avoid it, I don't want January too.

I don't really want my (future) kids being the oldest among their friends. But the youngest? I read a lot about issues of summer kids having more trouble at school, but I also know many who did not. We (me and many of my friends, the fellow summer born) started school right after our birthdays, and we're okay with that. In my class there are aslo several kids who started the school a year earlier. Some (or maybe many, Idk) of them admitted to have trouble. So actually is it about being not old enough when we start school or simply about being the youngest?
    Call me Cynthia, Angie, or Luna. 22. Name nerd.

Clemency | Clementine | Juliette | Helena | Isabelle | Annabelle | Evangeline | Seraphina | Rosalind | Violetta
    Vanessa | Audrey | Ariadne | Callista | Belphoebe | Bellatrix | Lyra | Valencia | Valentina | Laetitia | Cytherea
    Gavriel | Hermes | Flynn | James | Orion | Alexander | Caspian | Peregrine | Marius | Altair
    Callum | Cadmus | Jason | Perseus | Theseus | Oliver | Éomund | Luca | Amias

We had two preschools on our list for Amelie. Was was a bi-lingual preschool, and the other was a Montessori.

We were not comfortable with some of the teachings that come hand in hand with Montessori. While I liked that they are more education based than play based, and had more structured days, I did not like the fact that they don't engage in pretend play at all.
    Montessori schools true to Maria Montessori's teachings do not do dress up, play pretend, or talk about things like Santa, because they don't allow pretend play.
    Now, not all Montessori's stay true to every single one of Maria Montessori's guidelines, but this just didn't sit right with me as I feel pretend play is a key part of development. They also don't encourage pretending activities, such as pretending to cook, pretending to sweep the floor, etc.

While the preschool was more play based than activity/education based, I definitely liked the set up better. We went with the preschool in the end which I was very happy with, and I would definitely send any future children I have to that same preschool. I guess Montessori teachings just do not appeal to me at all

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.

Is Amelie in nursery or reception? I've only looked at Montessori nurseries, and all I've been to have dressing up sections! Whether they talk about Father C or not, I don't care, I never believed and won't make my child do so either. But I don't know where you are, the Montessori nurseries in London seem pretty liberal to me anyway!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Oh I completely agree, as I said, not all of them follow the teachings rule for rule. It just so happened that the only Montessori in my area was very rigid, and therefore they completely discouraged any pretend or imaginative play. My cousins daughter lives in a different part of the county, and goes to a Montessori, and she does pretend play regularly. I guess it just depends on the school

Will you not be celebrating Christmas at all, or just not indulging in the Father Christmas fantasy? So far, we're doing Santa, and she seems to believe it. But if she ever asks we'll tell the truth but continue celebrating the meaning of Christmas, etc. Its my favourite holiday, I can't give it up!

Also, apologies for this thread going waaaaay OT. This has been a very interesting conversation!

Mama to Amelie Clara (2008) & Daisy Madeline (2013).

Alice Tallulah, Polly Matilda, Rosalie Faye, Lucy Annabel, Maya Lillian, Hazel Kate, Eva Blossom, Juliet Lila, Ivy Camille.
    Charles Joshua "Charlie", Theodore Samuel "Teddy", Elliott Daniel, Noah Zachary, James Oscar, Arthur Philip, Rowan Isaac.