Names Searched Right Now:
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    @charlieandperry1; I think kindergarten is like reception. In England children start reception the September after they've turned 4 (so some will be almost 5, or actually 5, when they start).

@raptreverie; I hadn't heard of it before either, but it sounds like a neat system.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by charlieandperry1 View Post
    I'm guessing it varies state to state (like the education systems in Scotland & N. Ireland are totally different to E&W) but when do most American kids start proper school? And I've never really understood where kindergarten is in relation to the English system
    Most start kindergarten at 5. The majority are in some kind of preschool/daycare program by age 3 or 4 (but those vary quite a bit), kindergarten at 5, followed by 1st grade. I think kindergarten would roughly equate to reception in the UK.

In most states, there's a set date in early fall and children who have turned five by that date would start that year while children who turn five, say in October or November of that year, would wait and start the following year...so most kids are 5 but some are just barely 5 and others are about to turn 6. (Elab on my last post, I'm in Connecticut and I think we're the only state with a December 31 cut-off. Children start the calendar year they turn five whether or not they're 4 or 5 when school actually begins in the fall) Hope that makes sense.

Just to elaborate a bit further: In Ontario most kids do two years of kindergarten: They start junior kindergarten in the calendar year they turn 4, so some will not have turned 4 yet. Kindergarten is often a half-day program (although there is a push to have full-day programs) and involves a lot of play-based learning, so it's not rigorous academics or anything. You start Grade 1 when you're around 6 years old.

Like @uselesskitty, I am a late-September baby, so I started school when I was 3, but I was never behind in school. Actually, we had a lot of fall babies in my year. Must be those cold Canadian winters! :-)

In terms of best time to have a baby.... I'd go with April or May. It's far enough from Christmas, and would avoid pregnancy in the hot summer months (well, in this hemisphere anyway).
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Veronica ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

(Still) trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Quote Originally Posted by lineska View Post
    Most start kindergarten at 5. The majority are in some kind of preschool/daycare program by age 3 or 4 (but those vary quite a bit), kindergarten at 5, followed by 1st grade. I think kindergarten would roughly equate to reception in the UK.

In most states, there's a set date in early fall and children who have turned five by that date would start that year while children who turn five, say in October or November of that year, would wait and start the following year...so most kids are 5 but some are just barely 5 and others are about to turn 6. (Elab on my last post, I'm in Connecticut and I think we're the only state with a December 31 cut-off. Children start the calendar year they turn five whether or not they're 4 or 5 when school actually begins in the fall) Hope that makes sense.
    I might be missing something here but in England kids start school the September after they turn 4 and it sounds like in (most of) the US they'd start the September after they've turned 5.

Based on a little Google-ing I've just done, it seems that kindergarten is more like our Year 1 in terms of age (5-6 years old) but more like reception in that it's the first year of proper school. Thus, in the US, children start formal school a year later than in England?

Just to get my head round this, I'll do an example. If there's a child born in Oct 2007, she'd have started reception in England in Sep 2012. In the US she wouldn't start kindergarten until Sep 2013, but in the Connecticut example you've given, she'd start school in the autumn of the year she turned 5- so Sep 2012.

If that's correct then I finally think I understand! If not, I'm a lost cause!

My accountant husband says he will be very upset if we have a baby in January... since he'll have to wait an entire year for the tax break!! (Honestly he could care less, but at least he's thinking!!)