Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Sorry, I don't have anything new to add, but I just wanted to comment anyway. I absolutely love Riley, but I'm afraid to use it because I don't want people to think of it as a girl's name! The same goes for Avery - which I'll admit I used to like for a girl before I joined this site. Then after I joined, I remembered Avery from Charlotte's Web, and maybe that character would help keep it on the boy's side.

I also love Rory, and don't like it on a girl unless it's a nickname (for Aurora), but I wouldn't use either of those names because they sound weird to me when I say the "ror" part out loud for some reason.

Angel makes me think of Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I went to high school with a guy named Angel, pronounced the English way. So Angel has always been a boy's name in my mind.

I also created male characters in a book that I wrote named Kelly and Lindsay because I love those on boys but I would be way too afraid to use them in real life.

I also had a male teacher in middle school named Kim.
    Girls: Cordelia, Phoebe, Rose

Boys: Lucian, Alexander, Liam

Love this thread! I agree with most of these. As I've mentioned before, Harper for some reason is all girl to me, though I have no idea why. As is Angel, because the only one I've ever heard of is a close (female) friend, so I just can't see it on a boy ... though to be honest, I'm not a fan of it on a girl either; seems kind of like "princess" or something like that. So maybe if I met a male Angel, I would like it more as a name in general (and on boys).

Kelly and Ashley are my favorites in the category. These are totally swoon-worthy for me on a boy. Love love love!!! I'm pretty sure I would actually swoon if I met a male Kelly or Ashley. I'd probably develop an immediate crush -- even though I'm married and in my 30s -- that's how handsome these names are on boys for me.

Some of the names on these lists are all boy to me, such that I don't think they have "gone to the girls." If I hear them on a girl, I just think "that's weird -- I wonder why they gave their daughter a male name?" Equivalent to Michael or James on a girl for me. Some of those would be: Whitney, Elliot, Rowan, Avery, Rory ... and many others I'm sure; those are just the ones that come to mind immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by ciottolo View Post
    But you wouldn't call a daughter Peter, would you? It means rock/stone but is undeniably for boys.

(Arghh, sorry if that sounded snarky or too rude but I have loved Jasper (on a boy) since I was about six, and I can't bear to think that he might have girls in his class with the same name as him!...I got a bit carried away, and I do agree, Jasper sounds like Vesper and Hespera. And actually, I like Jade on a boy. I never thought about it before just now, but it rhymes with Cade etc. and could even perhaps be a nickname for Jayden?) Sorry for the rant/paragraph of explanation, haha!
    No, but there's a huge difference between Jasper (which is a type of gemstone) and Peter (which comes from the Greek, petros, which is literally the masculine singular noun form, meaning "rock". Sort of like Belle is for girls, and Beau is for boys. Both are literally the French word for "beautiful", but are feminine and masculine forms, respectively. In English, Jasper has no gender. In Greek, Peter does.

I mean, sure, I can sympathize--I would hate seeing my beloved Lily or Violet on a boy, but technically, they're as unisex as Jasper is. Most people just find them incredibly masculine or feminine, so people don't rock the boat. And I used to hate seeing Noa on girls because I thought it threatened Noah's masculinity, but that's obviously not true.

When it comes to masculine names that have been taken over for girls (Shannon, Kimberly, Rory, Aubrey, Avery, Hadley, Morgan, Addison, Bailey, etc., etc.--even my own name, Ashley!), I am willing to be a very loud advocate, but if a name is truly unisex, I don't see the harm in Jasper for a girl, or just Ash for a girl, etc. I was never the best at biology, but from what I remember, most plants are asexual, anyway.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

For those who like guys named Kelly, here's another real-life one speaking! Rory and Rowan are on my boy's list, and there are several other "unisex" names I would not hesitate to consider for a son.

Quote Originally Posted by nat108 View Post
    LOL, no need to apologize. I'm not that sensitive.

I love nature names and for many of them I don't associate a gender. I like Jasper not because it means "rock" like Peter or because it sounds like other girl names but because it's an actual rock that I think is gorgeous. My first exposure to Jasper was the stones mentioned in the Bible. To me it's just a thing in nature, like Lark or Briar or Forest (I love all 3 regardless of gender), that people occasionally use as a name.
    Haha, okay sorry, I totally understand what you mean - and I was being stupid really because I actually have Hyacinth on my boy's list for those exact reasons - yes, it is a flower, but it is just the name of a plant after all. (If anything, it should be a boy's name because of the original Hyacinth, the "beautiful youth" loved by Apollo.) So my argument is ridiculous really, sorry! And I do love Jasper because of the sound, not because of which gender it is for, so it shouldn't make a difference anyway. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    No, but there's a huge difference between Jasper (which is a type of gemstone) and Peter (which comes from the Greek, petros, which is literally the masculine singular noun form, meaning "rock". In English, Jasper has no gender. In Greek, Peter does.

I mean, sure, I can sympathize--I would hate seeing my beloved Lily or Violet on a boy, but technically, they're as unisex as Jasper is. Most people just find them incredibly masculine or feminine, so people don't rock the boat. And I used to hate seeing Noa on girls because I thought it threatened Noah's masculinity, but that's obviously not true.

When it comes to masculine names that have been taken over for girls (Shannon, Kimberly, Rory, Aubrey, Avery, Hadley, Morgan, Addison, Bailey, etc., etc.--even my own name, Ashley!), I am willing to be a very loud advocate, but if a name is truly unisex, I don't see the harm in Jasper for a girl, or just Ash for a girl, etc. I was never the best at biology, but from what I remember, most plants are asexual, anyway.
    This is completely true - of course Jasper and Peter are completely different. I suppose it's just the subconscious thought of the reaction people would have to Violet on a boy that means it isn't really used for boys, instead of the sounds or meaning or whatever. Sorry, I realise my argument was a bit ridiculous - thank you two for being so reasoned in reply. I really must think before I post, haha!