Names Searched Right Now:
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Ethel - more negative than I think it should be
    Janelle - it just says "much trendier to drop the first syllable and go with Elle" but that isn't helpful at all
    Felicity ~ Calista ~ Claudia ~ Beatrice "Betty" ~ Carlotta ~ Millie ~ Cora ~ Audrey ~ Violet

Calvin ~ Jude ~ Miles ~ Oliver ~ Roscoe ~ Benjamin ~ Leo ~ Adrian ~ Isaac ~ Colin

Please rate my namelist! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9831814

Wow, how did I miss this thread?

I don't agree with the negativity towards "soft" boy names (or that some are flat out not acknowledged, like Greer) but in Pam & Linda's world it may be true that boys can't wear those names. But, their world is not my world and it may or may not be yours. Everyone's knowledge and opinions are limited by culture, nationality, race/ethnicity, religion, age, and etc- including the 'experts'. If their descriptions don't work for you, take them with a grain of salt or just ignore them. I rarely look at the descriptions because they are the opinions 2 people who have almost nothing in common with me. That's why the forums are so great- variety of opinions from people of various walks of life

Glad to see the outright offensive descriptions changed. Some of the terminology was totally inappropriate.

Fox * Shea * Jade * Azure * Eden * Greer * Arden
    Lotus * Tallulah * Noor * Jasper * Blaise * Linden

The description for "Sigrid" makes me sad. I love that name personally; it's like a less common Ingrid or Astrid, and I don't quite understand why it's just written off like that. But I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions.

I've also noticed what seems like a slight grudge against German names? I don't think anything malicious was meant by it, but descriptions for names like Heidi and Liesl and Helmut -- it seems like they're often just written off as "old world" or clunky or whatever, whereas if the names are Scandinavian or French, they're usually fine. This is something I noticed in the books years and years ago, as one side of my family is German.

But keep doing what you're doing, Nameberry! I'm glad you fixed the more homophobic-leaning comments, and you do a really good job updating and trying to make this the best community possible for everyone.
    Last edited by maja; May 13th, 2013 at 01:35 AM.
    "Nothing ever fatigues me, but doing what I do not like."

I think the name Janet deserves more of a description than "Grandma Janet". Janet has a long history, many great namesakes, and is actually fairly popular.
    Felicity ~ Calista ~ Claudia ~ Beatrice "Betty" ~ Carlotta ~ Millie ~ Cora ~ Audrey ~ Violet

Calvin ~ Jude ~ Miles ~ Oliver ~ Roscoe ~ Benjamin ~ Leo ~ Adrian ~ Isaac ~ Colin

Cliantha - it's just described as disease-like which I think is unfair because lots of beautiful names sound like they could be diseases, including this one