Names Searched Right Now:
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pam View Post
    Just in case anyone's confused on this point, we abhor homophobia and misogyny and racism.
    I'm a touch puzzled on this point, if this is true, then why were homophobic words/slurs used at all, ever, in the entries for names?

I wouldn't put something like "Ming-Lee; your friendly neighbourhood nail tech." (which is pretty much along the same lines as the old entry for Antoine) in a name database and then say I can't stand racism.

Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    I'm a touch puzzled on this point, if this is true, then why were homophobic words/slurs used at all, ever, in the entries for names?

I wouldn't put something like "Ming-Lee; your friendly neighbourhood nail tech." (which is pretty much along the same lines as the old entry for Antoine) in a name database and then say I can't stand racism.
    I think it's all about how your interpret their comments. Why do you interpret Antoine being a hairdresser as a negative statement? Do you look down on male hairdressers? A lot of them are very successful. Look at Paul Mitchell! Pam and Linda's opinions are based on their experiences. Maybe they have run across a lot of Antoines in the beauty shop business. I personally know one! Also, why is being limp-wristed associated with being gay? There are plenty of straight men who are feminine. Why is it okay for women to be coined as "tom-boys," but as soon as a man is called feminine everyone gets offended? As you can see, everything is open to interpretation and these discussions can go on forever.
    Yes, I agree that Pam and Linda's descriptions generalize, and I think all generalizations inherently contain a level of ignorance. And this is the case with every single name description on nameberry. If Pam and Linda start changing their descriptions based on feedback they get from their fans, then they might as well shut this whole thing down because then it's no longer their opinion, but the opinion of someone else. With that said, creating a section below their descriptions to incorporate the opinions of others may not be a bad idea.
    Hopeless romantic and proud momma of two princesses:
    Isabella Jane & Vanessa Rose

Quote Originally Posted by bellababy View Post
    I think it's all about how your interpret their comments. Why do you interpret Antoine being a hairdresser as a negative statement? Do you look down on male hairdressers? A lot of them are very successful. Look at Paul Mitchell! Pam and Linda's opinions are based on their experiences. Maybe they have run across a lot of Antoines in the beauty shop business. I personally know one! Also, why is being limp-wristed associated with being gay? There are plenty of straight men who are feminine. Why is it okay for women to be coined as "tom-boys," but as soon as a man is called feminine everyone gets offended? As you can see, everything is open to interpretation and these discussions can go on forever.
    Yes, I agree that Pam and Linda's descriptions generalize, and I think all generalizations inherently contain a level of ignorance. And this is the case with every single name description on nameberry. If Pam and Linda start changing their descriptions based on feedback they get from their fans, then they might as well shut this whole thing down because then it's no longer their opinion, but the opinion of someone else. With that said, creating a section below their descriptions to incorporate the opinions of others may not be a bad idea.
    I for one don't view it as negative at all. But the sentence wasn't phrased as "Oh how lovely the name is!" it was phrased more negatively than that.

They can share their opinion with out being offensive. Such as "Often seen on male hairdressers in our experiences." or something. Not "Your friendly neighbourhood hairdresser." they have no CLUE who my neighbourhood hair dresser is, it's a snarky comment and that's negative.

And that's not their worst comment anyways, it's one that I immediately remembered.

One definition on limp-wristed: literally means homosexual, as in you make your wrist limp when you talk and you say "OMG NO WAY" alot.

Yeah, how is that not offensive to homosexuals.

I don't understand why it's viewed as wrong to state opinions without being offensive, I really don't.

I don't see anything wrong with some of them. Some are kind of rude, though. I don't picture a flamboyantly gay man when I hear the name Lance.
    Madison, 14-year-old name nerd! My style is all over the place, my favorites change all the time.

Boys: David, Eric, Finlay, George, James, Jude, Lee, Michael, Paul, Richard, Rory.

Girls: Emmanuelle, Frederica, Jayne, Juliet, Lauren, Mary, Molly, Nora, Raffaela, Stella.

Quote Originally Posted by pam View Post
    Phew. I'm mostly checking in to keep up with the discussion here. Zippy, I very much appreciate your post. The heart of our work, what made is so revolutionary when it was first published in 1988 and what makes our books and Nameberry different from anything that exists now or is likely to exist in the future because of the changing rights landscape, is the qualitative analysis based on decades of research and experience. Just in case anyone's confused on this point, we abhor homophobia and misogyny and racism. We've updated entries that "rub people the wrong way" and will continue to update constantly.

But our opinions will remain and what's more, the voice and attitude of this site are what attract this vibrant community of educated and passionate name lovers with well-informed and sophisticated opinions of their own. We not only invite but LOVE hearing your opinions and ideas on names and expect the same high regard in return.

Lexiem, really fun idea to point up the times when Linda and I disagree, though I'm afraid it would be a very short section....could be a great idea for a blog. One of the many things that's supported our long and happy partnership is that we are in agreement on most names (but not Henrietta. I'll save that for the blog).

One of the changes we have on board for Nameberry in the near future is a page inviting your commentary on every name which will widen the opportunity for individual commentary. Our wish is that this will open the way to a wider range of opinions beyond our own on many names, which will help parents make better-informed decisions on names for their babies.
    I continue to disagree with your biased opinions misleading & guiding entire populations/countries into YOUR personal feelings on names, and until I see the individual comment sections opened on each name description, I will discontinue use of this site as well as remove the direct links from my other web pages/blog. Get over yourself.