Names Searched Right Now:
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bellababy View Post
    I'm going against the grain here in saying this, but I am personally tired of all the sugar coating and PC bull in my life. It's nice to hear some raw honesty for a change. These are their opinions and they are entitled to them just as much as all of us posting in these forums.

Again - raw honesty and being straight up nasty are two different things. I go out of my way to be honest at all times on here, I've been told I'm rude SO many times that I have lost count - but NEVER have I felt the need to be outright offensive and use what's basically equal to a racial slur.

And yes, it's their website, they can do as they wish BUT - they are in the public eye. TONS of people from all walks of life read what they have to say.There is something that can be said to walk the line between honesty and being appropriate. If they want people to continue to read their opinions and take them seriously then yes, they should choose their words carefully. If they feel Carly is outdated - fine! But there is a HUGE difference between saying something is outdated or even unattractive and using terms that are highly offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by bellababy View Post
    I'm going against the grain here in saying this, but I am personally tired of all the sugar coating and PC bull in my life. It's nice to hear some raw honesty for a change. These are their opinions and they are entitled to them just as much as all of us posting in these forums.
    Are you also as open to racial, religious, and other slurs as well?

Extremes on either side are irritating, but there is a balanced ground.

Quote Originally Posted by loungelemon View Post
    Thank you Linda for making the changes. You seem much less defensive than Pam, and we all appreciate that. I get irritated when I see biased opinions on names listed here, not only for the clearly homophobic ones ("limp wristed"), but also the opinions that are clearly regional - Melita, for example, isn't sold as a "coffee filter" everywhere, yet you're leading the world to think that's what it means. I hope Pam understands that while everyone IS entitled to their opinions, because Nameberry is such a popular worldwide website (not just used in the US, e.g.), YOUR personal opinions and labels misguide entire populations of people into your thinking, instead of allowing people to form their own opinions. I never would have known Melita was a coffee filter somewhere until I looked it up here. Now I feel like I have to take that name off my list, because who wants people to think I named my daughter after a coffee filter?
    I think what the makers of Nameberry need to remember is that their impact is much greater than they realize. You're steering the minds of multiple continents' populations into YOUR thinking. Just please keep that in mind when labeling the names you list here.

Very well said!

I am just jaw-droppingly appalled by this entire thread. I remember when Beyond Jennifer and Jason came out, what was so refreshing was how Pam and Linda really told readers about the significance of names; their style, their image, their social mobility. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever read. If forum participants just want to know the meaning and origin of a name, there are a bazillion other sites out there.

Further more, I can't believe some posters' audacity in dictating to Pam and Linda what they need to change in their content. Stanley is unreasonable and ridiculous for a girl? Tell it to Barack Obama-- that's his mother's name. Don't get me wrong-- you are entitled to your opinions (and you seem to think I'm entitled to mine as long as they jibe with yours), but Nameberry is Pam and Linda's brand. It's their opinion I'm interested in. You think you're more of an expert? Go build your brand. Don't impose your ideas on theirs.

I've been on this forum off-and-on since the way-back days when Lola and Susan were the resident experts. I came back a few months ago and absolutely cannot believe how contentious and self-righteous many of the posters are. This used to be a fun place where folks played around with names, but now it's gotten weird and politically-charged and, quite frankly, full of bossy prigs. Where is the joy in this community? Cause I ain't seein' it.

I'm appalled that there's so much defense for homophobic commentary. Would you also defend racism in the database?

ETA: I think Pam and Linda are doing a great thing by altering the commentary for entires such as Lance's earlier one. I'm not saying, "Praise every name" or anything; I realize the commentary is their own and that the database is not actually a base for actual data most of the time, but I can't think of a time of place where calling anything or anyone "limp-wristed" is appropriate. Homophobia is not refreshing, and I'm glad Pam & Linda have stepped up and changed some of the commentary.
    ETA again: I also want to say that I do LOVE these forums. I think they're a great help and a lot of fun, and that's why I participate here.
    Last edited by lucialucentum; April 17th, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
    Lucia
    Sela, Iris, Eleanora, Minerva, Lilac and Bastian "Baz", Fletcher, Edmund, Joscelin, Gideon