Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    I've always wished Briar was listed as a boys name as well. I know it's used for girls more than boys... but if Arthur can have a girls entry. Nameberry is so keen to encourage the use of boys names on girls, but a 'girls' name on a boy, don't even think about it!
    15 year old name lover, with a cat named Neville.
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9826126

Quote Originally Posted by labmama View Post
    Please add Lance- "Lance, despite the heroic achievements of Lance Armstrong, has a rather limp-wristed soap opera image"

I only just noticed the reference to Lance Armstrong, now disgraced. My issue is with the description is the use of "limp-wristed." (It bothers me so much!)

Definition 1: describes a man who seems, by his manner, to be gay
    Definition 2: describes a man who does not behave in the strong and determined way traditionally expected in men
    WHAT. Okay, a lot of the other names brought up here are implicitly homophobic ("sissy", "sissified", "effeminate", "your hairdresser", etc) but "limp-wristed" is an explicit gay slur. There is literally nothing else it could mean. I am absolutely appalled. I love this site, but I feel like I've been slapped in the face. How could this description have ended up on the site? Who wrote it? And why in the hell would they think this was okay??

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

I also have a hard time believing that the "limp-wristed" comment has nothing to do with Lance Bass, a famous bearer of this name and an out gay man. For shame, Pam and Linda.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by labmama View Post
    Please add Lance- "Lance, despite the heroic achievements of Lance Armstrong, has a rather limp-wristed soap opera image"
    This is jarring. No wonder I don't use the database... kinda makes me rethink being here at all, honestly. It's homophobic, plain and simple. Some of these "descriptions" are truly appalling.
    Lucia
    Sela, Iris, Bronwen and Bastian, Fletcher, Gideon

The "limp-wristed" description is really foul. I'm with others who find it extremely disgraceful. I get that the comment section of the name entries is for P&L's personal opinion but that kind of homophobic sounding personal opinion doesn't seem like one that should be on this site, in my opinion.
    cassia | vivian | flora
    peregrine | jolyon | arthur