Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    My daughters name is Mimi. It's not short for anything, her full name is just that. The descriptor for Mimi is "Flirty, flimsy name of the tragic heroine of La Bohème...and Rent."

I certainly don't mind the connection to the heroine it's the word "flimsy" that annoys me the most.
    I disagree with negative description for names since it feels like bullying.

Quote Originally Posted by bonfireazalea View Post
    I've never been impressed by the one-sentence description of Darcy: "The ultimate Jane Austen hero name, but a bit feminine for an American boy." Perhaps there's just not much to say, but it does rub me the wrong way and that's what this thread is for, right?
    I've known a girl named Darcy and a girl dog named Darcy. I still do not think of this as a girl name or a dog name. I don't know if it's truly unisex or another boys' name used on girls, but it's perfectly on-trend for boys and, what with Austen's Darcy, there's a strong argument for it being entirely masculine.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Marlowe | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Just wanted to add my $0.02: Osbert doesn't seem wimpy to me at all. It just screams brawny-knight-in-a-Harlequin-romance-novel, much like Osric. In fact, the stark contrast of Osbert's description to Osric's description is sadly comical, since Osric is "clad in armor." Poor Osbert... so similar, yet so condemned. o.O
    Boys: Ignatius, Hieronymus, Casimir, Osias, Ludovic, Hesperus, Calixto, Aurelius
    Girls: Amarantha, Jacintha, Isannah, Chrysantha, Jonquil, Oleanna, Esmeranda

Please add Lance- "Lance, despite the heroic achievements of Lance Armstrong, has a rather limp-wristed soap opera image"

I only just noticed the reference to Lance Armstrong, now disgraced. My issue is with the description is the use of "limp-wristed." (It bothers me so much!)

Definition 1: describes a man who seems, by his manner, to be gay
    Definition 2: describes a man who does not behave in the strong and determined way traditionally expected in men

Quote Originally Posted by labmama View Post
    "...has a rather limp-wristed soap opera image"
    "Limp-wristed"? WTF?!