Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    I'd love to see more information about Ula! All it says is "see Uda" which leads to no further information.

Quote Originally Posted by labmama View Post
    Please add Lance- "Lance, despite the heroic achievements of Lance Armstrong, has a rather limp-wristed soap opera image"
    Things like this are more damaging to the integrity of this site more than a horde of trollish posters announcing the births of their pesudo-triplets. As previous posters have already said, the use of the term "limp-wristed" is appalling.
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"

I think the descriptions on this site are meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but, still, sometimes they're a little offensive. Like when I come across a name I think is nice, look it up, and am pretty much told I'm wrong for liking it. For example, I really like Darcy for a boy. I know it's used as a girls name. But the description - "a bit feminine for an American boy" - is off-putting. I felt a bit demoralised when I read it. I had to remind myself that it's only one person's opinion of the name.

By the way, I have NO IDEA why the name India is controversial.
    Last edited by sarahmezz; April 10th, 2013 at 02:29 AM.
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by sarahmezz View Post
    By the way, I have NO IDEA why the name India is controversial.
    As far as I can tell only Americans think India is an offensive name. The rest of the world doesn't care...

While I agree that there is no defence for genuinely homophobic or bigoted name reviews, I would like to offer a word of support for the name entries. A huge part of the reason that I am attracted to Nameberry is because it is the only name site I have found that offers humour and a genuine opinion , not just on a name's meaning, but on the name itself. This is necessarily subjective, and not everyone is going to agree with a negative review of a name they love. This doesn't make the review offensive (i.e. stating that a name can be used for both a girl or a boy) - you may disagree, but that is similarily just your subjective opinion.