Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    I have an issue with Arthur being listed as a girl's name on this website.

The description for Arthur (girl) is this: "One of the old-school masculine names some very adventurous parents are adopting for girls."

I thought that was an interesting claim. I just checked the SSA lists from 2001-2011, and not surprisingly Arthur never shows up on the girls' list. If there were any unfortunate girls named Arthur in that ten-year span, there are less than 40. Definitely not enough to warrant Arthur being listed as a girl's name.

ETA: I'm going back further in the data, and Arthur occasionally shows up at the very, very bottom of the very girls' list. Never more than 20 uses a year though. Still not enough to warrant Arthur being used as a girl's name.

The "Geezer Names for Girls" list bothers me to end. Why isn't there an accompanying "Geezelle Names for Boys" list advocating Dorcas, Mildred, and Gretchen for a boy?
    Last edited by southern.maple; April 9th, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

I personally think that the description for Taylor for a guy is alright, however, Taylor Lautner's name deserves to be spelled correctly: "Twilight's Taylor Leitner, though, is keeping it viable for the boys".

Also, the description for Indiana for a guy is interesting, saying that it emerged in the 80s, when it has never been in the top 1000 for guys. I'm sure there's the few 80s babies here and there named Indiana, but I don't think that's enough to say it 'emerged'.
    Last edited by tay2thestars; April 9th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~

Antoinette and Marie (no royalty reference intended). Apparently they are both dated and not due for a comeback. I also really like Sidney on a guy nn Sid but do you really think it's totally feminized now?
    Ever ~ Briar ~ Seraphina ~ Raphaela ~ Everly/Ever ~ Charlotte-Marie ~ Evanthe ~ Persephone ~ Freya ~ Astrid ~ Ceridwen ~ Parisa ~ Bay

Mordecai ~ Percy ~ Lyle ~ Wolf ~ Taj ~ Ami (AH-MEE) ~ Ren ~ Leif ~ Bear ~ Lucien

Guilty Pleasures: Forever ~ Reverie ~ Innocence ~ Severine ~ Itza ~ Elke ~ Ramses ~ Ra ~ Ila ~ Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by tay2thestars View Post
    I personally think that the description for Taylor for a guy is alright, however, Taylor Lautner's name deserves to be spelled correctly: "Twilight's Taylor Leitner, though, is keeping it viable for the boys".
    I understand Taylor currently ranks higher for boys than for girls, but am I the only person who knows more male Taylors than female Taylors? Taylor is a pretty common name amongst the guys at my school, whereas we only have two or three female Taylors.

I really don't think it's fair to say that Taylor Lautner is the only thing keeping Taylor viable for a boy.
    Last edited by southern.maple; April 9th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Wow "sissified"...do NOT like that descriptor at all!! I will have to think and try to remember descriptions that made me wince but I was surprised to see that word used.