Names Searched Right Now:
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    I don't have an issue with Pam and Linda adding their personal opinion on a name to the database. What I do have an issue with are comments with homophobic and/or misogynistic undertones. Describing Lance as "limp-wristed" and asking parents of a potential male Madison if they would really want to inflict a top ten girl's name on a boy (when established masculine classics like James, Arthur, and George are listed as girls' names) is what's unacceptable to me.

Blade is right to be upset by the description of Antoine as the "friendly neighborhood hairdresser." That one has always rubbed me the wrong way, especially since that is the only thing Pam and Linda had to say about Antoine.
    Last edited by southern.maple; April 10th, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

Hi everyone -- Many of you are so familiar to me, I know you spend a lot of time on Nameberry and we consider you a valuable part of our community and this site. The foundation of our work and what distinguishes Nameberry are our subjective opinions and commentary on names; we will never excise all opinions though we are constantly adding to and updating the database and are completely open to revisiting and revising our commentary. But please express your opinions with the respect our work deserves and don't use the forums we provide openly and without charge as a platform for trashing us and this site.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

Quote Originally Posted by pam View Post
    Hi everyone -- Many of you are so familiar to me, I know you spend a lot of time on Nameberry and we consider you a valuable part of our community and this site. The foundation of our work and what distinguishes Nameberry are our subjective opinions and commentary on names; we will never excise all opinions though we are constantly adding to and updating the database and are completely open to revisiting and revising our commentary. But please express your opinions with the respect our work deserves and don't use the forums we provide openly and without charge as a platform for trashing us and this site.
    I haven't seen anyone on this thread trashing you or Linda. In fact, I've seen people (including myself) saying repeatedly that they love the site and respect your work. It seems like you're trying to side-step the fact that there are dozens of entries on the database that are openly, explicitly homophobic and misogynistic. Your fans are allowed to be upset about that.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    I haven't seen anyone on this thread trashing you or Linda. In fact, I've seen people (including myself) saying repeatedly that they love the site and respect your work. It seems like you're trying to side-step the fact that there are dozens of entries on the database that are openly, explicitly homophobic and misogynistic. Your fans are allowed to be upset about that.
    Agreed. I love this website and respect the work that you and Linda have done. I'm not trying to trash either of you.

The entries for Antoine and Lance have been updated, everyone.