Names Searched Right Now:
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by labmama View Post
    Please add Lance- "Lance, despite the heroic achievements of Lance Armstrong, has a rather limp-wristed soap opera image"

I only just noticed the reference to Lance Armstrong, now disgraced. My issue is with the description is the use of "limp-wristed." (It bothers me so much!)

Definition 1: describes a man who seems, by his manner, to be gay
    Definition 2: describes a man who does not behave in the strong and determined way traditionally expected in men
    That's horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    I also have a hard time believing that the "limp-wristed" comment has nothing to do with Lance Bass, a famous bearer of this name and an out gay man. For shame, Pam and Linda.
    And I agree with this.

I've never really looked up any names in the nameberry database, I only use behindthename. But there's obviously some crazy stuff going on!
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

Nameberry is different than other naming sites, sure. I don't mind the subjective entries that are just matters of personal taste, be they snarky or not. I don't have any stats, but it seems like for every "negative" description, you could find ten neutral/glowing descriptions. I've defended this site before (or at least tried to, being someone who hates confrontation.)

HOWEVER, I don't think that's what the main beef is here, and I agree a lot of these descriptions need to go or be revised. "Limp-wristed," and all the "sissified" mentions are bad news. Good Lord.

Others that shouldn't be listed as girls's names, the whole list of 'Geezer Names For Girls':
    Arthur
    Barry
    Bert
    Chauncey
    Clarence
    Cyril
    Ernest
    Errol
    Floyd
    Gary
    Howard
    Ira
    Jay
    Jules
    Lawrence
    Lester
    Lloyd
    Lyle
    Marlon
    Marshall
    Marvin
    Maury
    Mel
    Milton
    Monroe
    Morley
    Morris
    Murray
    Neal
    Norris
    Percy
    Perry
    Randolph
    Reggie
    Roscoe
    Roy
    Rudy
    Seth
    Seymour
    Sheldon
    Sidney
    Silas
    Sinclair
    Stanley
    Stuart
    Vernon
    Vincent
    Virgil
    Wallace
    Wendell
    Zeke

Also, please, for the love of God, stop using the word 'Hipster'.
    olivia, seventeen, obsessively maternal.

★ close to my heart / future darlings; ★
    Estella - Oona - Margaret - Imogen - Billie - Eilidh - Jemima
    Emmett - Eoghan - Wilf - Alec - Nicholas - William - Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by philomena View Post
    Um, no not necessarily. There's also the nasty British imperialist/colonialist connotations that make people turn away from it. It has so much baggage that I think is best avoided. It was often used on English girls while Britain had control over India, to show that their fathers were influential in that "colony". It also has the feel of a bit of romanticism and "ooh, look how exotic India is".
    This is the reason I wouldn't ever use India - It's a beautiful name but there is nothing sweet about naming your little white baby girl after a nation which her own country oppressed not so long ago.

But then again I'm just very fussy over what's culturally appropriate etc.
    olivia, seventeen, obsessively maternal.

★ close to my heart / future darlings; ★
    Estella - Oona - Margaret - Imogen - Billie - Eilidh - Jemima
    Emmett - Eoghan - Wilf - Alec - Nicholas - William - Hugh

Let me just say....we are slowly making our way through the 50,000 names in the database and making a lot of changes!