Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by noetje View Post
    As far as I can tell only Americans think India is an offensive name. The rest of the world doesn't care...
    Methinks the yankees can be a bit sensitive sometimes! LOL
    TTC #1

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Quote Originally Posted by noetje View Post
    As far as I can tell only Americans think India is an offensive name. The rest of the world doesn't care...
    Um, no not necessarily. There's also the nasty British imperialist/colonialist connotations that make people turn away from it. It has so much baggage that I think is best avoided. It was often used on English girls while Britain had control over India, to show that their fathers were influential in that "colony". It also has the feel of a bit of romanticism and "ooh, look how exotic India is".
    cassia | vivian | flora
    peregrine | jolyon | arthur

Quote Originally Posted by philomena View Post
    Um, no not necessarily. There's also the nasty British imperialist/colonialist connotations that make people turn away from it. It has so much baggage that I think is best avoided. It was often used on English girls while Britain had control over India, to show that their fathers were influential in that "colony". It also has the feel of a bit of romanticism and "ooh, look how exotic India is".
    Stop. This argument isn't being started again. Generally we disagree on this on either sides of the pond. Let's leave it as that. This topic is interesting and I don't think we should ruin it.

Back on topic. I've always disagreed with the 'opinions' part of the name database. I think meanings, entymology and well known name bearers are fine but any offensive opinions should be stricken from record.

Out of interest, I looked up a few of my favourite names.

Jory: 'For a girl.' ((The only comment... O_o))

Emery: 'Emery is still strong and viable for a boy, but you might want to consider Emory or Amory or Emerson as a more masculine option for your son.' ((Why would I need to alter the spelling of a boys name for a boy??))

Sigrid: 'Forever Scandinavian. Try cute diminutive Siri or more international Ingrid instead.' ((Nah cheers, I like Sigrid. That's why I clicked on it.))

Vito: 'Old World Italian name without much vigour.'

Edit:: This is harder than I thought. Some aren't even listed: Meirion, Ariella, Aneirin, Cesare, Dickon, Bridie, Aira etc etc
    Last edited by renrose; April 12th, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Jameson:
    (Strong new James varietal, though sometimes shared by girls. A good choice to honor Grandpa Jim. It is swiftly moving up the charts, jumping from #319 to #210 in the past year alone.)
    Really, off to the girls? Probably because James, is also suggested for girls.

Jamesina:
    More grown up than Jamie, but still awkward. Try Jameson...or James.
    Suggesting James or Jameson for a girl and hurting the image of a valid female name.

Sylvan:
    Has a beautiful meaning, but still carries the image of an old man playing checkers.
    I don't think so.
    Last edited by irmgard+theodorian; April 10th, 2013 at 09:34 AM.

Limp-wristed? I would also like to see that removed....highly offensive!!