Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    If it makes any difference, the Donovans I've known have been Vans, just as how the Dominics I've known have been called Nic/Nick.

I think Philomena is incredibly striking, but I don't think its unusable. It reminds me of one of the names my own best friend wants to use - Raphaela (and, I've already been informed, NEVER Ella!) Flowery and a bit dramatic, but not completely unwieldy.

Philomena isn't unrealistic at all. It's lovely and striking. Philomena isn't any more or less elaborate than Isabella, and I see no reason why it couldn't work.
    Emily, 19, Southeastern US.
    College student, name nerd, and generally geeky.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine

I love Philomena maybe Minka could work as a nickname from Wilhelmina?
    Cassarah proud mummy bear to: Persephone Elizabeth Rose aka Persey aged 2
    Step mummy to the darling Rhylee Isabella and Emmersyn Maree aged 5
    Expecting baby number 4.
    A girl will Juniper Cleo Sawyer aka Juno
    A boy will be Tobias William Jack aka Toby

Philomena is one of those names that seems perfectly realistic in a book or whimsical other-world where the impossible is all very possible. Sadly, I don't think that applies to our day-to-day lives; I couldn't take, say, a psychiatrist or lawyer named Philomena seriously. Someone with an over-the-top, breezy name like that in a serious setting would come off as flaky to me.

Image aside, there was a time I almost started to grow on the name. Since it's become the next Maeve, however, I can't even see it as a GP now.
    ~Favorites of the moment~

Girls: Sonya, Caroline, Sakura, Carmilla, Terra
    Boys: Conrad, Fain, Marcelo, Serge, Isidoro

Vote on my name list!

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    If it makes any difference, the Donovans I've known have been Vans, just as how the Dominics I've known have been called Nic/Nick.

I think Philomena is incredibly striking, but I don't think its unusable. It reminds me of one of the names my own best friend wants to use - Raphaela (and, I've already been informed, NEVER Ella!) Flowery and a bit dramatic, but not completely unwieldy.
    I did think of Van instead of Donnie, but I don't know. I'll keep it in mind and maybe it'll grow on me. I think Raphaela is beautiful too, and Ella would be a cute nickname to it; to bad your friend doesn't like it!

Quote Originally Posted by cascade View Post
    I love Philomena maybe Minka could work as a nickname from Wilhelmina?
    Hm, maybe. Minka reminds me too much of mink. Now I'm just being picky; I guess Mina is good enough, especially since the whole name is so worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
    Philomena is one of those names that seems perfectly realistic in a book or whimsical other-world where the impossible is all very possible. Sadly, I don't think that applies to our day-to-day lives; I couldn't take, say, a psychiatrist or lawyer named Philomena seriously. Someone with an over-the-top, breezy name like that in a serious setting would come off as flaky to me.

Image aside, there was a time I almost started to grow on the name. Since it's become the next Maeve, however, I can't even see it as a GP now.
    I discovered the name a few years ago, after I saw it somewhere. I mentioned it to my mother, and she told me that my grandmother Ione's best friend was named Philomena. She was a dear family friend. Ever since then the name just really grew on me, and I love it. I love that it evokes whimsical, other-wordly feelings because I love to write stories and plays. I started in my childhood, often wishing (and I still do) that this world had magic. I love the name because I could see it in a story, and I'm hoping that my children would be able to make a name for themselves in this world. I guess that's why I want them to have such unique names that the people they meet will remember them.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen