Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I love Philomena. It's on my new list. I don't see why you think it's unusable, it has two very familiar sounds and is very pretty.

Sister names: Berenice, Demelza, Eulalia, Euphemia, Gwendolen, Isadora, Perpetua, Roxana, Sybilla, Thomasina, Zipphora
    Brother names: Bertram, Clarence, Ferdinand, Humphrey, Leopold, Octavian, Percival, Roderick, Valentine
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

It's definitely usable! I've known a Philomena and never thought anything but, "what a lovely name."
    Loving right now:
    Eulalie Catherine, Cordelia Iseult, Cosima Beatrix, Cecily Morgana
    Ivo Marius, Euan Casper, Remy Nathaneal, Crispin Adair

Quote Originally Posted by norbury View Post
    My great aunt Philomena was nick named Philly, I think it's totally usable and not that dissimilar to Phillippa.
    I actually don't like the nickname Philly; Philomena is just so beautiful, and Philly doesn't convey the same feeling, in my opinion. I love the idea of bringing old names back.

Quote Originally Posted by philomena View Post
    I think Philomena is far more usable than Ophelia (oh-feel-ya). Obviously I adore it. Minnie or Mina are nice nicknames and Philomena Ione is a gorgeous combo.
    I thought the combo was beautiful too! Besides, Ophelia has a kind of rhyming thing with Aurelia, which we both adore so much. I did find out though that he LOVES Ophelia, as he is a big theatre nerd like me. I just really don't like the idea of sibling names to rhyme; it leaves out the other siblings too, and there will be a lot of mix-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by hanniekitt View Post
    I don't like Philomena at all, sorry.

I think Ophelia Ione is beatiful and I think Ophelia is quite usable due to the similarity to Olivia - 4 syllables, starts in O, ends in ia, same consonant-vowel structure.
    The problem there lies within my name, as it is Olivia; many friends and family just call me Olivia, which sounds very much like Ophelia.

Times are tough, my fellow Berries.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

I know a Philomena. It seems usable enough to me. I like it. It's no longer than Isabella. None of the sounds are particularly challenging. It's not incredibly hard to work out the pronunciation. I don't think its particularly hard to pick brother names for it? It actually works pretty well with Donovan I think - similar length and not too theme-y otherwise.

I don't find it more awkward than Ophelia, quite the contrary actually. I love Shakespearean names but Ophelia is not one I would gravitate to at all. Viola, now, gives me heart flutters. So does the Nameberry-standard Imogen. And Much Ado makes me love Beatrice. Ophelia... nah.

Ione is really exquisite, I am jealous you can use it. I cannot and I wish I could.

Quote Originally Posted by stripedsocks View Post
    I know a Philomena. It seems usable enough to me. I like it. It's no longer than Isabella. None of the sounds are particularly challenging. It's not incredibly hard to work out the pronunciation. I don't think its particularly hard to pick brother names for it? It actually works pretty well with Donovan I think - similar length and not too theme-y otherwise.

I don't find it more awkward than Ophelia, quite the contrary actually. I love Shakespearean names but Ophelia is not one I would gravitate to at all. Viola, now, gives me heart flutters. So does the Nameberry-standard Imogen. And Much Ado makes me love Beatrice. Ophelia... nah.

Ione is really exquisite, I am jealous you can use it. I cannot and I wish I could.
    I like Donovan and how it sounds with both Philomena and Aurelia, and it's always been the man's favorite boy name, but I have a father named Donn, my mom's twin brother is Donald, and I have a cousin named Don too. Plus I was never fond of the nickname Don or Donnie. So that can stay a middle name... haha!

I've never really been too fond of Viola or Violet; maybe because it sounds like my paternal grandmother's name, and I haven't been happy with her for years. I've always loved Imogen, but that's the name my best friend is going to use, and I'm totally okay with it--I can much more picture her with a little Imogen rather than me! I've never liked Beatrice... it always makes me think of Aunt Bea from the Andy Griffith Show.

And I'm really lucky my maternal grandmother (who was a very sweet, loving lady) was named Ione, and I can honor her by using it. Same with her sister, Bernadette, who was like my second grandmother to me. I'm also lucky that I really like both of those names.

But the more I sat down and thought about it, I would be very unhappy if I just settled for a name that was more common or easier to spell than using a name that really speaks to me. I'd would regret naming my first girl something I didn't really like all that much in comparison to Philomena.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen