Names Searched Right Now:
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    I didn't read the middle pages of this thread, but I'm gonna jump in anyways:

Maybe we could start out with characters in books, TV, and film who are male with feminine names, that way no real people have to deal with the original backlash. If name nerds, women, and especially parents (whose attitudes and beliefs have huge impact on their children's treatment of others) could contain their vitriol for a while, feminine names might become acceptable for boys, and eventually used more often. Then maybe people could just choose the names they liked the sound of. After a couple decades it could have a major impact on our society's extreme (yet often overlooked) sexism. It's worth a try, I think.

And for the record, I see no reason why a boy couldn't be called Emily. People always say that if boys share the same names as girls, they will be teased. But children (especially very young children) are just enforcing the rules they learn at home and from society in general upon their peers. If we change, they'll change - presto, no more teasing. How often are girls ridiculed for wearing pants? Pretty much never. Someone had to be the first woman to exclusively wear pants, and it wasn't easy, but I'm glad she did it.
    ElizabethAlessandraBronwenDylanJamesSilasJoseph

Also, maybe this thread should be called "An excellent explanation of why it's anti-feminist to give your daughter a boy's name unless you are also willing to give your son a girl's name." Because I see nothing anti-feminist about a family with boys and girls all with masculine names, if that's what the parents liked the sound of. But parents who only truly love long flowery names and don't give any to their sons, opting instead for something masculine they find boring? Yeah, that's sexism in action.

Quote Originally Posted by namesy View Post
    I didn't read the middle pages of this thread, but I'm gonna jump in anyways:

Maybe we could start out with characters in books, TV, and film who are male with feminine names, that way no real people have to deal with the original backlash.
    I believe that there were several examples cited in this thread of girly-named men in the media, but my favorite is Jayne on the show Firefly.

My favorite boy name is listed by Nameberry as a girl's name, and I am absolutely using it! But I also respect that so-called "softer" or more girly names aren't everyone's style, just as "frilly" girl names aren't, either.

I get a lot of feedback on my boy names that they're girly, and I get a little irritated that this is usually presented as a negative, which does totally imply that femininity is a negative quality, which implies that girls are inferior in a way. However, I don't necessarily agree that giving your daughter a boyish name is antifeminist on its own.
    Baby boy due October 2014! Current tentative name:

Sequoia Orion

I've always thought that the name Vivian would be handsome on a boy.
    . . . That's all I have to contribute to this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by moonkai View Post
    I get a lot of feedback on my boy names that they're girly
    If the boy names you're talking about are listed in your signature as green and/or blue... I quite like them, especially Lyric. You have very interesting (read: awesome) taste in names