Names Searched Right Now:
Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by namefan View Post
    And if that's not true (the main part of the application asks for gender) then the form is in a legal gray area and may be used against the employer in the event of a discrimination lawsuit (assuming this is for the U.S. and it's not one of those rare exceptions where your gender can be used as a factor).
    Gender discrimination is definitely grounds for a lawsuit in the US.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

While I do think that boys-names-gone-girl is a trend at the moment, I also think that softer boy names like Luca, Elijah, Ezra, Jacob, ect are a major trend as well. I also think that some "male" names like Hunter, Taylor, River, ect are absolutely word names that could be worn by whatever sex. AND I think that giving a girl a family surname as a first or middle makes sense, even though it isn't my style, since she might lose her own surname in marriage. It's a nice way to ensure that she maintains a connection to her heritage in her name, always. I personally would use Morgan or Sidney on a boy regardless of the female associations that I have for those names.

Is it anti-feminist to name your daughter with a feminization of a male name? Is Victoria anti-feminist cause it's a feminization of Victor? I mean, maybe. I think so many people that cringe at the idea of a girl Maxwell do so because they are afraid it could make their son named Maxwell more readily perceived as girly or gay. To try to displace those emotions by psychoanalyzing the parents who chose Maxwell for their daughter is silly to me. Maybe it was a family name, maybe they just wanted to be oh-so-different, maybe they hate women and feminine qualities, but probably not...

Quote Originally Posted by jyoti View Post
    I can't find the original comment by egilona BUT IRA IS A ALSO GIRL'S NAME! It's Sanskrit-based, comes from a holy river and the goddess of wisdom/education, literature, music, and science. If I have a daughter, I would consider using the name because 1. it is easy to pronounce and 2. I want that particular goddess's name to be part of my daughter's.

Now, Ira also happens to is also a male Jewish (Standard Hebrew) name.

Hinduism is the older religion, so you could even make the argument that it was first a female name. Milan is also a male name in Hinduism, but a place name more often used for females in the U.S. And several people made the point that Ashley is often used for males in Europe, but females in the U.S. And names have switched gender, female to male/unisex - look up Evelyn.

My point here is - perhaps we shouldn't judge why people use the names they chose.
    I just don't see very many male Iras or Hollis' in my area is all. I'd just be delighted to see either on a little boy because it's rare where I live.
    scribe

- twenty-something college student in the States
    - growing and getting older with her senior canine companion of 9 years, Pete.
    - not expecting, but hopes to adopt and/or ttc someday

Quote Originally Posted by lcmpdx View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with Blade here - The author is not explaining anything, more just musing over a question that has been tossed around Nameberry for years, without getting at any real answers other than "we should give our boys names that are traditionally for the girls."

I'm not trying to be rude, it just wasn't an explanation of anything.
    ^^^^yarp, exactly!
    Just name your kid what you bloody want to and be on with it!
    Blythe - Adrienne - Liv - Cosima - Alexa - Clara - Sabine - Clover - Cecilia - Mabel

Mads - Brook - Gilbert - Sam - Iggy - Ned

As many of you know, i have chosen to name my daughter Sawyer Grace. I didn't choose this name for her because i wanted a boy, find masculine qualities more desirable than feminine ones, or desire her to be a rough and tough chick. I chose it because DH came across it while browsing name sites ( in the unisex section ) and when he said the name out loud i fell in love with it. Gender equality didn't even cross my mind when i choose it. This topic could be debated forever because its all a matter of opinion. Everyone has a different opinion on which names are unisex and which ones are not. Where i find Logan, Dylan, Spencer, Ryan, Elliot, Conner, Evan and Tyler, to be strictly masculine names, some people view them as unisex, and frankly once a child is given a name it becomes acceptable for their gender, whether you like it or not. You might think that naming a girl Ryan is totally ridiculous, but what would you do if you met a little girl names Ryan? Say to her, " your parents must have wanted a boy because Ryan is a boy's name? " Of course not. I guess what i am trying to say is everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and unless a parent asks for it, i don't think anyone has the right to judge them or question the name they chose for their child, or why they chose it.