Names Searched Right Now:
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    I wish the article was longer. Though, I get the point behind. It's like the song "What it feels like for a girl". Here are some of the lyrics

"Girls can wear jeans
    And cut their hair short
    Wear shirts and boots
    'Cause it's OK to be a boy
    But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading
    'Cause you think that being a girl is degrading"

I do hate the majority of boys names on girls. Mainly, because I just prefer more "frilly" names on girls. But also it seems weird if the meaning of the name is something like "King" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Seriously, what's wrong with having a boy named Ira or Hollis in this day and age? Tell me.
    I can't find the original comment by egilona BUT IRA IS A ALSO GIRL'S NAME! It's Sanskrit-based, comes from a holy river and the goddess of wisdom/education, literature, music, and science. If I have a daughter, I would consider using the name because 1. it is easy to pronounce and 2. I want that particular goddess's name to be part of my daughter's.

Now, Ira also happens to is also a male Jewish (Standard Hebrew) name.

Hinduism is the older religion, so you could even make the argument that it was first a female name. Milan is also a male name in Hinduism, but a place name more often used for females in the U.S. And several people made the point that Ashley is often used for males in Europe, but females in the U.S. And names have switched gender, female to male/unisex - look up Evelyn.

My point here is - perhaps we shouldn't judge why people use the names they chose.
    Last edited by jyoti; June 28th, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
    tea drinker + cat lover + ever-evolving baker+cook...positive realist who loves beautiful words, names, and images.

Feel free to ask me about Sanskrit-based names.

Quote Originally Posted by rowangreeneyes View Post
    And you honestly think your experience as an engineer would of been easier if you were named Elizabeth or Amanda? Men would of second guessed you and complained the same amount. And why in the world would your daughter not be able to do anything she liked if she had a more unisex or masculine name? We live in a very sexist society, so if a potential sexist employer or college recruiter looks at an application than says Elizabeth C. or an application that said Mason C. (both girls) which one do you think they would choose? Mason. And they're be embarrassed and annoyed that Mason was a girl, but she got her foot in the door didn't she? Elizabeth was skipped over because she was obviously a female. Tell me a situation where a man is skipped over? And not to mention most applications have F or M on it somewhere anyway. If they really cared that much about the gender of the applicant, they will find out.

I'm not saying any of this is right, but it is the society we live in right now.
    I cannot remember the last time I applied for a job where I needed to fill out an application along with submitting my resume. Even the ones that have only had it on the EEOE portion, not the part where the HR person would see your information.

If a male employer was sexist enough to not hire a woman simply because of her name, what honestly makes you think he would hire a woman just because he happened to call her for an interview? Once she got to the interview, he could just not really listen to what she has to say and even if said employer liked some of what she said, he still wouldn't have to hire her just because her name wasn't Elizabeth or Amanda. When it comes to getting an interview, a woman is far, far less likely to be discriminated against than someone who doesn't have a "normal" name.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by smismar View Post
    I'm a physician and I have my own private practice. I can tell you with 100% certainty that patients have chosen me over other docs in the area because I am female. This is without knowing anything else about me. I've even had a few patients that have said (after they get to know me) they weren't sure they'd call because of my first name.
    Male doctors are definitely discriminated against, especially if they're in general medicine. Part of the reason I chose my doctor is because he's great with his patients and isn't as booked up.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Quote Originally Posted by scarletrune View Post
    I cannot remember the last time I applied for a job where I needed to fill out an application along with submitting my resume. Even the ones that have only had it on the EEOE portion, not the part where the HR person would see your information.
    And if that's not true (the main part of the application asks for gender) then the form is in a legal gray area and may be used against the employer in the event of a discrimination lawsuit (assuming this is for the U.S. and it's not one of those rare exceptions where your gender can be used as a factor).