Names Searched Right Now:
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast
    I was so excited to see this issue being discussed outside of the name nerd world when I saw this piece on Jezebel earlier, then I came here to make a thread & saw this wonderful one! I feel like the original piece could have presented the argument more clearly, but it's great to see this being discussed as a feminist topic & could not agree with the sentiment more.

So many amazing points have been made here, that I don't have much to add. However, on the question of what we can actually do about it, my choice is to encourage the use of unisex names (mostly nature or surname names) instead of historically male ones to posters who are set on giving their daughter a tomboyish name & to keep making this argument to anyone who'll listen. I don't think the answer is giving to give our sons a girls' name, though; until the wider misogynistic attitudes change, there's no use consigning little boys to miserable childhoods.

Annora Juliet, Elspeth, Verity, Zelda, Josephine, Marianne, Rosemary Constance
    Edmund Henry, Wesley, Jonah, Gilbert, August, Winston, Hugh Theodore

Here is my opinion, straight forward and simply spoken. Boy names on girls is part of the genderless movement. Weither you are aware of this movement or not, you are being influenced by a culture which is. It isn't about men being better. It is about eliminating the difference between sexes entirely.
    Wanting to be pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by ninanoo View Post
    Here is my opinion, straight forward and simply spoken. Boy names on girls is part of the genderless movement. Weither you are aware of this movement or not, you are being influenced by a culture which is. It isn't about men being better. It is about eliminating the difference between sexes entirely.
    I can't wait to meet your sons, Annabelle and Delilah! Oh wait, you would never actually give a son those names? Because they are considered female? And there goes your "genderless names" argument.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by rowangreeneyes View Post
    Every time a debate like this arises on Nameberry (which is very often,) I start contemplating two things...

1) Where is the end to this argument? What do the people who are so adamantly against "boys names on girls" plan to do about it other than not name their daughter a boyish name? Name their son Jessica? What is the point of going around in circles and over analyzing everything?

2) Why posters asking about a unisex or boy name on a girl get responses like "_____ is a boy's name!" or "I wouldn't use it because it sounds too masculine." And then a post about someone naming their daughter Elizabeth for the gazillionth time gets responses like "Oh that's such a beautiful combo!" and "What a gorgeous name for a little girl!" Double standards I guess. Although it does kind of suck to be in the super minority on Nameberry and *GASP* like unisex and masculine names on girls.

Also, when does a name go from masculine to culturally accepted as a unisex name? Take Riley as an example. Riley for girls didn't even breach the top 1000 until 1990. Riley was a common boys name since 1912. And now we don't even bat an eye at a girl named Riley/Rilee/Rhylee (other than it being too popular) Isn't Riley the "Maxwell" of the early 1990's? A name gets super common for boys, and then ultimately someone decides to use it for a girl. It isn't a new trend. It's happened to hundreds of names throughout history. So are we finally going to be the generation to break the mold and start using girls names for boys? Probably not. There will be little girls named William and Benjamin in the next decade or so, and eventually we're just going to have to either accept it as a part of human psychology or we change it.
    Clearly you have not read a single one of the other comments on this thread. Every "point" you make is addressed numerous times.
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

In society it's cool for girls to be masculine and tough (I think this is fine, btw) but if a male shows any sign of femininity (like his name), he will be bashed and made fun of. What is wrong with the world?