Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    I don't think saying one thing is more feared/oppressed than another means the second thing isn't also feared/oppressed.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    I don't think saying one thing is more feared/oppressed than another means the second thing isn't also feared/oppressed.
    You're setting up a hierarchy of persecution. This isn't the Oppression Olympics.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Wren or Simon Adler | Alice Violetta or Atlas Dov | Julian 'Jules' River or Juniper 'Joon' Lovelace | Roscoe Fox or Marlowe Fritz | Jane Lucinda or Lucien Wilde | Louisa Valor or Eloise March | Ivan Elliot or Iris Cordelia | August Jack or Jasper Hale | Dashiell Jude or Judah Reeve | Thea Marina or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Finnegan Wallace or Felix Raphael

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

No medals will be awarded, but I think--circling back to names-- that my original hypothesis stands as a possible explanation for the demonization and avoidance of feminine, soft boys' names.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    No medals will be awarded, but I think--circling back to names-- that my original hypothesis stands as a possible explanation for the demonization and avoidance of feminine, soft boys' names.
    Your original hypothesis is that gay men are more oppressed than gay women. I'm telling you that this is a ridiculous comparison that completely discounts history, lived experiences, issues of intersectionality, and, you know, reality. It is not a valid argument. If you're going to persist in trying to make it anyway, cite sources.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Wren or Simon Adler | Alice Violetta or Atlas Dov | Julian 'Jules' River or Juniper 'Joon' Lovelace | Roscoe Fox or Marlowe Fritz | Jane Lucinda or Lucien Wilde | Louisa Valor or Eloise March | Ivan Elliot or Iris Cordelia | August Jack or Jasper Hale | Dashiell Jude or Judah Reeve | Thea Marina or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Finnegan Wallace or Felix Raphael

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

I'm loving this thread so much, I don't even know where to begin - my thoughts are everywhere!

Okay, *deep breath, tries to organize thoughts*

My mother said something that rings so true for me: "There are no examples of feminine success, only masculine."
    It was a passing comment in a conversation I wasn't a part of, but I took a lot from that. If I were to elaborate on it I would say: "There are little to no examples to feminine success, unless it's sexual. To be successful is graded on a masculine scale."
    I hope that gets my point across.

In response to this comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by bnoelle View Post
    I just wonder what we should do with this information.
    My answer would be to use unisex names evenly, and stop using names that are meant for boys on girls.
    I posted a thread on opinions on using the name Eden on a boy, which is one of my favourite names, and many users thought is was too "feminine" or even that it was totally a girls name.
    When Eden is in fact far from a girls only name, and is arguable a male name if one wants to go into it's origins and Hebrew history. Some comments said that Eden sounded like a girls name, which I found weird since it sounds and awful lot like Aiden, which is not viewed as too feminine sounding...
    Plus with the Hebrew pronunciation (Eh-den), it's not girly imo at all.

I think education and correction is key.
    I love the name Eden, and I'm not going to let it "Oh, but it's used on girls..." deter me from possibly using it. It's still on my list.
    It bothers me when parents choose boys names for girls because it's not meant for girls, and there are plenty of female options, it causes confusion and it's just aggravatingly unnecessary to me.
    As for unisex names, those are fair game! But when the parents select a name like Phoenix or Rory because "It'll make people think she's a boy, and be better for her...", that makes me want to smash my computer.

There's nothing empowering about a girl named Ryan and there's nothing degrading about a boy named Eden.
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele