Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    The idea/concept is there and she sort of gives a framework for an argument but doesn't follow through, makes suggestions, but doesn't go into detail.

It's a little like a quick brainstorm of initial thoughts about a subject/topic, that will turn into a full essay. It reminds me a bit of a University tutorial discussion. Needs fleshing out.

Edit: lol, what i wrote sounds like something said tutorial leader would give as feedback!
    Leo Sebastian l Ronan Alexander

current loves
    Felix l Finn l Moss l Heath l Fern l Veda l Tui l Blythe

Except the writer didn't actually say that, she wanted you to say it for her.

To be honest I loathe this writing style, which probably doesn't help matters. It's faux-colloquial, like you're two besties having a chat, and the author can't be bothered to put all her brilliant thoughts into a cohesive, formal, serious post/piece (but if she buckled down and did it, it would be *awesome,* you can be assured). I think it shows a lot of timidity, like "it's better not to try, than to try and fail."

I liked the intro and the snark, especially the lady bit cookies, but she immediately diverted into staving off detractors and then everything fell flat. The readers ended up drawing conclusions and inferring her points, and I'll restate, she never bothered to make any real arguments, even though I think we can all get her thesis and probably agree with it.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Except the writer didn't actually say that, she wanted you to say it for her.

Yes! This. Exactly.
    Leo Sebastian l Ronan Alexander

current loves
    Felix l Finn l Moss l Heath l Fern l Veda l Tui l Blythe

That is true!
    Teenberry who is obsessed with names - probably a minority on nameberry who likes popular names

Ladies: Holly|Charlotte|Lily|Chloe|Indigo|Zoe|Stella
    Gents: Jonty|Jordan|Hunter|James|Xavier|Cullen|Louie

Quote Originally Posted by rin View Post
    The idea/concept is there and she sort of gives a framework for an argument but doesn't follow through, makes suggestions, but doesn't go into detail.

It's a little like a quick brainstorm of initial thoughts about a subject/topic, that will turn into a full essay. It reminds me a bit of a University tutorial discussion. Needs fleshing out.
    Frankly, I'm mostly thrilled to see a discussion of gender imbalances in naming on a feminist website. I do wish the author had gone more into related issues, for instance, the tradition of giving girls male family names, or feminizations of male family names. Why do you want to pass along Grandpa Charles's name to your daughter and not Grandma Pearl's name to your son?

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...