Names Searched Right Now:
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rowangreeneyes View Post
    I didn't mean I took offense to your posts specifically. I meant this thread in general, and the hundreds like it. You just happen to be the one that replied to my original statement, nothing personal. I have a bit of insomnia going on and I'm grouchy due to dieting. Sorry if I came across as mean.
    I was hoping it was something like that. Insomnia's the worst.
    I sincerely didn't intend nor want to offend you, no hard feelings from me.

Quote Originally Posted by egilona View Post
    Apparently nameberry advocates gender-swapping Ira, and Hollis has "gone to the girls"...even though in 2011 the ratio was 5:2 in favor of the boys.
    Seriously, what's wrong with having a boy named Ira or Hollis in this day and age? Tell me.

I take some personal offense to this argument, yes. I have a "male" name that back in the 80's when I was born was almost strictly male. It would be the equivalent of naming a girl Logan nowadays. And in no way were my parents trying to make a political or social statement with my name. It was a family name.
    I'm happy for you that your traditionally masculine name has worked out for you, but I have spent my entire life trying to battle the stereotype that precedes me with a masculine name. I have had customers get irate that they were expecting an engineer named Tony to come fix their problem and the company sent "some chick" instead (true story). So, not only did I have to fix the problem, I had to work twice as hard as a male co-worker to go above and beyond to prove myself and my work because the customer had a preconceived notion of who I was based on the name they heard. Now that I'm in a completely different line of work and I work mostly with women, I fall back on my feminine middle name so that potential clients aren't scared off that I'm "some guy" trying to get into their intimate business. When I named my daughter, I very purposefully chose a name that was very feminine. She can choose to be whatever she wants when she grows up, as can our son who is going to get a traditionally masculine name. If she wants to be an engineer like dad is (and mom was) or he wants to be a nurse like his aunt and uncle, more power to them.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman
    Other favorites:
    Ladies: Fiala Joan · Alma · Miriam · Claudia · Tabitha · Helena · Linnea · Vivian
    Gents: Jasper Simon · Arthur · Simon · Desmond · Theodore · Malcolm
    · Dexter · Phillip
    Guilty Pleasures: Lyric · Echo · Hero · Juno/Juniper · Lark · Wren · Zephyr · Vesper
    · Loki · Kyrie

Quote Originally Posted by smismar View Post
    I'm happy for you that your traditionally masculine name has worked out for you, but I have spent my entire life trying to battle the stereotype that precedes me with a masculine name. I have had customers get irate that they were expecting an engineer named Tony to come fix their problem and the company sent "some chick" instead (true story). So, not only did I have to fix the problem, I had to work twice as hard as a male co-worker to go above and beyond to prove myself and my work because the customer had a preconceived notion of who I was based on the name they heard. Now that I'm in a completely different line of work and I work mostly with women, I fall back on my feminine middle name so that potential clients aren't scared off that I'm "some guy" trying to get into their intimate business. When I named my daughter, I very purposefully chose a name that was very feminine. She can choose to be whatever she wants when she grows up, as can our son who is going to get a traditionally masculine name. If she wants to be an engineer like dad is (and mom was) or he wants to be a nurse like his aunt and uncle, more power to them.
    And you honestly think your experience as an engineer would of been easier if you were named Elizabeth or Amanda? Men would of second guessed you and complained the same amount. And why in the world would your daughter not be able to do anything she liked if she had a more unisex or masculine name? We live in a very sexist society, so if a potential sexist employer or college recruiter looks at an application than says Elizabeth C. or an application that said Mason C. (both girls) which one do you think they would choose? Mason. And they're be embarrassed and annoyed that Mason was a girl, but she got her foot in the door didn't she? Elizabeth was skipped over because she was obviously a female. Tell me a situation where a man is skipped over? And not to mention most applications have F or M on it somewhere anyway. If they really cared that much about the gender of the applicant, they will find out.

I'm not saying any of this is right, but it is the society we live in right now.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Tell me a situation where a man is skipped over?
    I'm a physician and I have my own private practice. I can tell you with 100% certainty that patients have chosen me over other docs in the area because I am female. This is without knowing anything else about me. I've even had a few patients that have said (after they get to know me) they weren't sure they'd call because of my first name.
    Mom to Sylvia Caron and Linus Roman
    Other favorites:
    Ladies: Fiala Joan · Alma · Miriam · Claudia · Tabitha · Helena · Linnea · Vivian
    Gents: Jasper Simon · Arthur · Simon · Desmond · Theodore · Malcolm
    · Dexter · Phillip
    Guilty Pleasures: Lyric · Echo · Hero · Juno/Juniper · Lark · Wren · Zephyr · Vesper
    · Loki · Kyrie