Names Searched Right Now:
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ninanoo View Post
    Here is my opinion, straight forward and simply spoken. Boy names on girls is part of the genderless movement. Weither you are aware of this movement or not, you are being influenced by a culture which is. It isn't about men being better. It is about eliminating the difference between sexes entirely.
    Which I find to be complete nonsense, personally.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

Hey East, replying to your reply... No offense taken. You have a point. There's nothing inherently wrong with decorating one's body. Spa parties were just an example I randomly chose of something I find unsettling. I very much agree with you that it's strange when girls are told over and over how pretty they are. I hear it a lot. When I meet little girls, I always try to engage them about what they're interested in, what they're reading, what their dogs' names are :-) rather than jumping straight to "I love your hair!" Sounds like you do the same.
    As I said, I don't think that focusing on physical beauty is inherently bad. That's where so much art comes from for goodness sake! But I think that blown out of proportion, it can and does feed objectification of women in a way that's unhealthy. Just look at the popularity of the Bella names. An alien visiting our planet might think we believed that beauty was the most important value to instill in a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by emmabobemma View Post
    Hey East, replying to your reply... No offense taken. You have a point. There's nothing inherently wrong with decorating one's body. Spa parties were just an example I randomly chose of something I find unsettling. I very much agree with you that it's strange when girls are told over and over how pretty they are. I hear it a lot. When I meet little girls, I always try to engage them about what they're interested in, what they're reading, what their dogs' names are :-) rather than jumping straight to "I love your hair!" Sounds like you do the same.
    As I said, I don't think that focusing on physical beauty is inherently bad. That's where so much art comes from for goodness sake! But I think that blown out of proportion, it can and does feed objectification of women in a way that's unhealthy. Just look at the popularity of the Bella names. An alien visiting our planet might think we believed that beauty was the most important value to instill in a girl.
    I definitely hear your point.
    I don't think there's any harm in telling a child they're beautiful or handsome, but when it becomes the main thing they're hearing, it's an issue. Interestingly enough, I think the harm comes from women more than from men. I see a lot of girls hearing more negative based commentary regarding appearance from their mothers, aunts, friends, etc than from other men. I think men are more accepting than women are in terms of certain things.

Also, a lot of Bella names don't even have meanings that contain beautiful, which puzzles me on another level too. I think Belle and Bella are the only ones.

Mama to big kitty Jasper

a feel for the names i adore:
    http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/40723

Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    Girls names are meant for girls. Boys names are meant for boys. Masculine names are meant for boys, not girls. So it's not a double standard to like things that a meant for certain things.
    See, that sounds incredibly narrow minded and conservative to me. It's like saying "Dresses are meant for girls. Pants are meant for boys." I find it almost laughable how someone can be adamantly against something like masculine names for girls. I'm adamantly against war, adamantly against child abuse... I dislike super trendy names but I don't find them reprehensible. It seems like such wasted energy to debate this topic over and over, and it's silly. Honestly, when someone has such a huge issue with the gender of names, it makes me think of ultra conservatives clutching at straws to argue against women in the workplace, abortion rights, etc. "We need to keep things traditionally masculine and feminine, or the world will fall into TOTAL CHAOS and we won't know who's a man or a woman! Boys will be mistaken for girls on job applications! We'll forget what gender is and the world will be thrown off kilter and then... THE APOCALYPSE."

Do you honestly think any parent of a girl named Logan or Mason intended to be "anti-woman" or strike up a 10 page long debate about gender, sexuality, and feminism? No. They just liked the name and thought it was cool. And I bet you they would of considered the same name if their baby girl had been a boy. I have a unisex name that at one point was strictly masculine, and when I asked my mom what she would of named me if I had been a boy, the same thing. I was NEVER teased about my name or treated differently, it never made me feel less feminine than my friends. I like the name Sawyer for a girl, and I also like it for a boy. Same goes with *most* of the names on my list.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.