Names Searched Right Now:
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tarynkay View Post
    I actually do have a wonderful nephew who goes by Ivy. His name on his birth certificate is Firstname Middlename Lastname IV, so it is a nickname, but absolutely everyone calls him Ivy, no one calls him by his legal first name. He is now fourteen and is reasonably popular. Going by what most would consider a girls name does not seem to have caused him any problems.
    First of all, your nephew sounds awesome. Second of all, this seems to confirm a theory I've seen floated in a number of settings, including a psych class: some kids are just more teasable than others. I've mentioned this example before, but the most popular boy in my middle school was named Pierre. Nobody ever gave him cr@p for it. The most picked-on kid? John -- and oh wow did people go to town on his name (not coincidentally, this was the year I learned that "john" was slang for toilet and a solicitor of prostitutes). There is no such thing as an inherently teasable name, but unfortunately there are kids who are just more (or less!) likely to get teased.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    Your original hypothesis is that gay men are more oppressed than gay women. I'm telling you that this is a ridiculous comparison that completely discounts history, lived experiences, issues of intersectionality, and, you know, reality. It is not a valid argument. If you're going to persist in trying to make it anyway, cite sources.
    Why is it not a valid argument? It's not about girls being less desirable. It's about the fact that it's acceptable for girls to wear blue, but not acceptable (to some) for boys to wear pink, that it's okay for girls to play football, but not acceptable (to some) for boys to play Barbies. If a little girl is a tomboy, she's praised for it. If a little boy enjoys playing with make-up, it's thought of as weird. Why? Because the implication is that he must be gay, but no one assumes that about the little girl who made the boy's ice hockey team. There is a double-standard, but it's not about one sex being superior, in my opinion. It's about old and tired prejudices.
    Last edited by gabriela; April 9th, 2013 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    First of all, your nephew sounds awesome. Second of all, this seems to confirm a theory I've seen floated in a number of settings, including a psych class: some kids are just more teasable than others. I've mentioned this example before, but the most popular boy in my middle school was named Pierre. Nobody ever gave him cr@p for it. The most picked-on kid? John -- and oh wow did people go to town on his name (not coincidentally, this was the year I learned that "john" was slang for toilet and a solicitor of prostitutes). There is no such thing as an inherently teasable name, but unfortunately there are kids who are just more (or less!) likely to get teased.
    I completely agree. It's unfortunate and not nice to think about, but it's definitely true.

The most common names are the ones that get made fun of at my work which is a daycare, and the more out there are completely accepted. These are children from 2-12.
    It also has to do with the children making fun of the name/other child.

Also, I made another thread where we can share names that are commonly used on girls but would be lovely on boys:
    http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...From-the-Girls!
    Laurel - 2O - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

-------
    Newest thoughts for little ones: Angelo - Caspian - Eden | Isabela - Brisa - Gisele

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Part of it is the "you heard it here first" syndrome. Much of this gender-bending is *predictions,* and as such they're stabs in the dark. Who would have thought that Elliot, which started as a joke on a TV show, would actually become a genuinely popular name for girls? So, P&L examine the landscape and think that Emmett and Bennett might just follow Elliot on over, just like Addison became a mega-name following Madison (another joke on the silver screen). If the predictions don't come to pass, then we all scratch our heads a few years later.
    I don't know, I kind of have to wonder about the priorities of someone (or someones) writing up loads of wholly speculative boy-to-girl fence-jumper name entries, especially when there are plenty of established names that aren't yet in the database. There are tons of the suggestions in the "What names have we missed?" thread (on the All About Nameberry board) that haven't been touched!
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"