Names Searched Right Now:
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    I actually have a girls name I think should used on boys. Isabeau.
    That's actually pretty clever, since it contains Beau anyway. Makes sense, actually.

I've been thinking lately that Scarlet would actually be pretty cool on a guy. It's such an intense and dramatic color, and seems quite dashing to me. Honesty, I've always been a bit perplexed by the gendering of so many color names. I mean, when was it decided that Azure was just for girls... and why?! It'd work just fine for a boy!

Part of it is the "you heard it here first" syndrome. Much of this gender-bending is *predictions,* and as such they're stabs in the dark. Who would have thought that Elliot, which started as a joke on a TV show, would actually become a genuinely popular name for girls? So, P&L examine the landscape and think that Emmett and Bennett might just follow Elliot on over, just like Addison became a mega-name following Madison (another joke on the silver screen). If the predictions don't come to pass, then we all scratch our heads a few years later.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Part of it is the "you heard it here first" syndrome. Much of this gender-bending is *predictions,* and as such they're stabs in the dark. Who would have thought that Elliot, which started as a joke on a TV show, would actually become a genuinely popular name for girls? So, P&L examine the landscape and think that Emmett and Bennett might just follow Elliot on over, just like Addison became a mega-name following Madison (another joke on the silver screen). If the predictions don't come to pass, then we all scratch our heads a few years later.
    That raises a good point, I hadn't thought of it like that. I find that to be a bit bothersome personally. It can encourage the same "boys names for girls" trend that irks me.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by argenta_genova View Post
    That's actually pretty clever, since it contains Beau anyway. Makes sense, actually.
    This reminds me of a thought I had early regarding Isabelle. If it's French, then shouldn't the meaning contain "beauitiful"?

I've been thinking lately that Scarlet would actually be pretty cool on a guy. It's such an intense and dramatic color, and seems quite dashing to me. Honesty, I've always been a bit perplexed by the gendering of so many color names. I mean, when was it decided that Azure was just for girls... and why?! It'd work just fine for a boy!
    I like the idea of Scarlet, but it'd be seen as totally female because of the "Ette" sound, which seems to be an allowance for named like Everett to go to girls as well.

Yes! This has bothered me for a long time. It is just like women can wear a tuxedo (or any traditionally male attire) and that is completely respectable, but a man in a dress is ridiculous. As a counter-example, I actually do have a wonderful nephew who goes by Ivy. His name on his birth certificate is Firstname Middlename Lastname IV, so it is a nickname, but absolutely everyone calls him Ivy, no one calls him by his legal first name. He is now fourteen and is reasonably popular. Going by what most would consider a girls name does not seem to have caused him any problems.