Names Searched Right Now:
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by argenta_genova View Post
    East93, Cedric is mentioned as being "sissified" within the first paragraph of the description. I missed it too, on my first read-through.

Someone should make a thread about which 'girl names' it'd be interesting (if highly unlikely) to give to/see on boys...

I absolutely love this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherma View Post
    I included Cedric because of this:

The name was then sissified as Little Lord Fauntleroy, the long-haired, velvet-suited and lace-collared boy hero of the Frances Hodgson Burnett book, who became an unwitting symbol of the pampered mama's boy.

Thank you for that! My brain is pretty fried today.

I also made a thread in "All About Nameberry" for us to post names with descriptions that rub us the wrong way. Please add to it as you find more.
    http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...-the-wrong-way
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    I also made a thread in "All About Nameberry" for us to post names with descriptions that rub us the wrong way. Please add to it as you find more.
    http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...-the-wrong-way
    Brilliant idea! Thank you!
    Simon Valor | Eloise Lily | Judah Sage | Thea Marina | Felix Orion | Iris Cordelia | Roscoe Benjamin | Lydia Wren | Jasper Conroy | Phaedra Naomi | Adrian Bruno | Lucinda 'Indie' Jane | Wallace Finnegan | Sylvie Winifred | Charles 'Charlie' Elliot | Juniper Faye | Julian 'Jules' Atlas | Matilda Sailor | Marlowe Charles | Alice Elizabeth | Jack Mariner | Marigold 'Maggie' Susan

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

While we're on the topic of name descriptions, I have an issue with Arthur being listed as a girl's name on this website. I also have an issue with this list: http://nameberry.com/list/247/Geezer-Names-for-Girls

It seems like any name that Pam or Linda perceive as dated or soft is suddenly "charming" on a girl. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't exactly call Randolph, Seymour, or Vernon "charming" on a girl.

The description for Arthur (girl) is this: "One of the old-school masculine names some very adventurous parents are adopting for girls."

I thought that was an interesting claim. I just checked the SSA lists from 2001-2011, and not surprisingly Arthur never shows up on the girls' list. If there were any unfortunate girls named Arthur in that ten-year span, there are less than 40. Definitely not enough to warrant Arthur being listed as a girl's name.

ETA: I posted this before I saw that east93 made a thread. I'll move this post to there.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    Brilliant idea! Thank you!
    No problem, some descriptions had been bothering me for a while, I don't know why I hadn't thought of it sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    While we're on the topic of name descriptions, I have an issue with Arthur being listed as a girl's name on this website. I also have an issue with this list: http://nameberry.com/list/247/Geezer-Names-for-Girls

It seems like any name that Pam or Linda perceive as dated or soft is suddenly "charming" on a girl. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't exactly call Randolph, Seymour, or Vernon "charming" on a girl.

The description for Arthur (girl) is this: "One of the old-school masculine names some very adventurous parents are adopting for girls."

I thought that was an interesting claim. I just checked the SSA lists from 2001-2011, and not surprisingly Arthur never shows up on the girls' list. If there were any unfortunate girls named Arthur in that ten-year span, there are less than 40. Definitely not enough to warrant Arthur being listed as a girl's name.
    *nods*

Many descriptions are personal opinion, and not even shared by majority opinions.