Names Searched Right Now:
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by argenta_genova View Post
    East93, Cedric is mentioned as being "sissified" within the first paragraph of the description. I missed it too, on my first read-through.

Someone should make a thread about which 'girl names' it'd be interesting (if highly unlikely) to give to/see on boys...

I absolutely love this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherma View Post
    I included Cedric because of this:

The name was then sissified as Little Lord Fauntleroy, the long-haired, velvet-suited and lace-collared boy hero of the Frances Hodgson Burnett book, who became an unwitting symbol of the pampered mama's boy.

Thank you for that! My brain is pretty fried today.

I also made a thread in "All About Nameberry" for us to post names with descriptions that rub us the wrong way. Please add to it as you find more.
    http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...-the-wrong-way

Laurel - twenty one - Toronto
    Nathaniel . Eden | Alessandra . Noel

Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    I also made a thread in "All About Nameberry" for us to post names with descriptions that rub us the wrong way. Please add to it as you find more.
    http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...-the-wrong-way
    Brilliant idea! Thank you!
    Simon, Eloise, Faye, Judah, Thea, Marina, Felix, Iris, Cordelia, Roscoe, Lydia, Jasper, Phaedra, Adrian, Lucinda, Jane, Wallace, Finnegan, Sylvie, Charlie, Juniper, Atlas, Matilda, Julian, Alice, Marlowe, Octavia, Jack, Marigold, Ruby Louise, Archer, Violet, Gabriel, Persephone, Dov, Louisa

Just a grad student, dreaming ahead...

While we're on the topic of name descriptions, I have an issue with Arthur being listed as a girl's name on this website. I also have an issue with this list: http://nameberry.com/list/247/Geezer-Names-for-Girls

It seems like any name that Pam or Linda perceive as dated or soft is suddenly "charming" on a girl. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't exactly call Randolph, Seymour, or Vernon "charming" on a girl.

The description for Arthur (girl) is this: "One of the old-school masculine names some very adventurous parents are adopting for girls."

I thought that was an interesting claim. I just checked the SSA lists from 2001-2011, and not surprisingly Arthur never shows up on the girls' list. If there were any unfortunate girls named Arthur in that ten-year span, there are less than 40. Definitely not enough to warrant Arthur being listed as a girl's name.

ETA: I posted this before I saw that east93 made a thread. I'll move this post to there.
    Emily // Nineteen // American

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    Brilliant idea! Thank you!
    No problem, some descriptions had been bothering me for a while, I don't know why I hadn't thought of it sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by southern.maple View Post
    While we're on the topic of name descriptions, I have an issue with Arthur being listed as a girl's name on this website. I also have an issue with this list: http://nameberry.com/list/247/Geezer-Names-for-Girls

It seems like any name that Pam or Linda perceive as dated or soft is suddenly "charming" on a girl. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't exactly call Randolph, Seymour, or Vernon "charming" on a girl.

The description for Arthur (girl) is this: "One of the old-school masculine names some very adventurous parents are adopting for girls."

I thought that was an interesting claim. I just checked the SSA lists from 2001-2011, and not surprisingly Arthur never shows up on the girls' list. If there were any unfortunate girls named Arthur in that ten-year span, there are less than 40. Definitely not enough to warrant Arthur being listed as a girl's name.
    *nods*

Many descriptions are personal opinion, and not even shared by majority opinions.