Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    In states where CNMs are not required to operate under the license of a physician, they can attend homebirths. In states where they are, they can be and are prosecuted for attending homebirths as it's out of the scope of their license. There were some recent cases in Virgina, I believe.

The Oregon data is aggregate for all homebirths regardless of provider type (CPM/CNM), and all hospital births regardless of provider type (CNM/physician)
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael (3.1.2012)
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor (11.30.2013)

Given that my first day in the program is Wednesday, I'm uncertain how my peers in the school view the data from Rooks' study. What I have seen, however, turns my stomach. I confess that I have not yet had the opportunity to fully review it, so I can't comment any further than that intelligently.

Hi Shutterbug,
    Full disclosure here too, though I really ought to stop being so forthright on Nameberry. I'm actually in the process of working toward NMW school myself. I'm trying to get a taste of different perspectives before I dive headlong into left-brained nursing school. I did a doula training, a class with Michel Odent, and I'm heading off to Ina May's Farm tomorrow for a MW assistant workshop. It's been interesting hanging around here and chatting with dear Blade, who (as you can see) is very much opposed to non nurse-midwifery. I want to be open-minded, but she has brought to my attention some very distressing and compelling statistics pointing to the dangers of direct-entry midwifery. I come from an alternative therapy background, so I understand how non-medical trainings can be very rigorous, very much an opportunity for lifelong learning. I am positive that there are many brilliant CPMs out there. Personally, I want to have the RN training, prescribing privileges, ability to work in a variety of settings, so I'm going to do the NMW thing. But I'm genuinely very openly curious to hear your thoughts about direct entry, and why you chose that route over nurse-midwifery. I know that there are good doctors and bad doctors, regardless of qualifications. You sound like a sincere and thorough person. No matter how you slice it, we desperately need better standards for midwives in the US! The rates of infant mortality in DEM-attended home birth are atrocious. Though I'm a total outsider at this point, it seems to me that the way to bring about change is to have an open dialogue. Infighting is unproductive. Maybe I'm naive.
    Anyway, hello! (Extends friendly handshake) If you share your thoughts on this, I promise not to jump down your throat (largely because I don't yet have the schooling to argue about this stuff in any sort of informed way!) ;-)

Ina May was here a few weeks ago. I wonder if she knew or talked about what happened with Rowan Bailey?
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

^^ I wonder too Rowangreeneyes. I'm going to ask her about it. I'll be there to learn, not to be confrontational, but I have many questions.