Names Searched Right Now:

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    @emms I would bet shutterbug is part of the program at Bastyr University on the outskirts of Seattle. They are leading an experiment in making DEM rigorous, requiring college degrees for entry, 2 years of foundational study plus three years of practica, etc. It's grounded in a naturopathic model of medical care as that's Bastyr's thing.
    I'm actually studying at Birthingway in Portland. I considered Bastyr very heavily, but ultimately chose Birthingway for a laundry list of reasons irrelevant to this conversation, so I'll spare you. Birthingway's program is designed to be done in three years, but the overwhelming majority of students opt to take longer; I'll have my core courses completed by the end of 2015, but I estimate it will take at least another 18 months to two years to complete my supplemental courses, final research, and clinical training.

FWIW, there's a term that's been bandied about in midwifery communities for years. It started as an insult and now it's something akin to a slur. "Medwife." You can ascertain for yourselves what it's meant to imply: a midwife who, in the eyes of other midwives, rely too much on allopathy and medical intervention, who is "insufficiently committed to natural birth processes."

I believe in choice. That's why I want to be a midwife. I want to help women who want to have their babies at home exercise that choice. But I also believe in sanity and sense. My own birth was extraordinarily traumatic; if my mother had been at home, one or both of us would be dead. Out-of-hospital birth is a great option for some, but it is not appropriate for everybody, and it is critical that we screen those people. So my patients are getting ultrasounds. My patients are getting bloodwork. My patients are being screened for gestational diabetes and group beta strep. If someone has a problem I can't handle, I'm referring them on to their friendly neighborhood obstetrician. If they don't agree to these things, that's their choice, and that's fine - but in that case, I'm not the midwife for them. Taking a chance on the life of a mother or baby is not acceptable. If that means people want to brand me a "medwife," by all means.
    Last edited by shyshutterbug; April 11th, 2013 at 11:16 AM.