Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Can someone please explain this to me?!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/midwife...TAzBy12sbuz6IK

Lotus Birthing?? Has anyone done this or is wanting to? I don't get it.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Firstly the title of the thread is like catnip to me.

Secondly, if you mean explain as in "describe, attempt to capture the reasoning behind" then perhaps. If you mean explain as in "there is a perfectly good reason underlying this idiotic and dangerous practice," then no, I cannot.

As best I understand it, there is a fringe element even within the natural childbirth community who feels that everything related to the birth is sacred and 'belongs' to the baby, especially the placenta. They believe it is wrong to "artificially" sever the umbilical cord, that instead you should wait until the baby is "ready" to "part" with it. Therefore it remains attached, necrotic and rotting, for 7-10 days. There is a cottage industry around this of special bags which you can use to conceal the placenta (which doubles as a nursing pillow!) and a sort of meat perservation/salting process to attempt to stave off the horrid odor of a bag of blood slowly decomposing. Then, of course, once it rots off, you make prints and capsules and whatnot, perhaps hold a sacred ceremony, and bury it.

There is NO precedent for this in any human culture. It is entirely a modern invention, though it has a quasi-primeval feel to it. Every human culture in the world immediately ties off the umbilical cord and cuts it at birth. The real reason it rots off is that, of course, no blood is flowing through it, the tissue becomes ischemic and apoptoses; there is an inflammatory response and finally it dessicates and falls. There is a real risk, though, if the umbilical blood vessels remain patent then a good deal of the decomposing product's "evil humors" can enter the baby's bloodstream and provoke a systemic inflammatory response, even sepsis. Would you butcher a cow and carry your newborn baby around on its carcass? Human meat is no different.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Ha ha ha, Blade, I love your response to this. I saw a video about this the other day (watched it out of morbid curiosity). My only thought was: How ridiculous! I mean, I did the delayed cord clamping with my son. My doctor and nurses had no objections and we only had to wait a couple minutes, but carrying around the placenta till it rots off just seems unsanitary. My concern was infection entering the baby via the still intact umbilical cord. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me. It tickled me that one of the reasons they cite for doing this was so the baby would have a "perfect belly button". First off, that doesn't exactly seem quantifiable. Second, do people really sit around comparing belly buttons? I mean, my son has an outie, but that has nothing to do with the cutting of his umbilical cord. That happens long before a baby is born. To me, this lotus method thing seems like an ill advised gimmick with no benefits and lots of possible dangers.
    Wife to Jordan.
    Mommy to Everett Callan, born 2010 and Callie Sage Eilonwy, born 2013
    and 2 fur babies: a male standard poodle named Shasta, and a female Australian shepherd named Scout.

If you have any questions about PCOS, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, or Cystic Fibrosis testing, please feel free to message me

I consider myself pretty open towards all the ~Natural~ childbirth stuff... but that article just made me feel nauseous. It's like being attached to a dead and rotting limb. I feel queasy.

Ewww, and then every time that baby is introduced to a new family member or friend, it still has that big icky blob hanging off it...

*cringe*

That sounds absolutely ridiculous and dangerous. Some of these new age-y, hippie contrivances are really starting to irk me.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.