Names Searched Right Now:

Dieting, I need optimism!

So, I've decided I'm not comfortable with my weight and something needs to change. I am approximately 50 pounds away from "normal" range on the BMI chart. I went to my doctor 2 days ago and she put me on a high protein/low sugar diet and prescribed me an appetite suppressant called Phentermine. I am also starting weekly B12 injections.

Today was the second day of taking the appetite suppressant and I'm still having trouble figuring out when to take it (since I can only take 1 pill per day) The first day I split the pill in half and took one half at 10 am and the other half at 3 pm. It worked pretty well except by 9-10 that night, the pill started wearing off and I got the late night munchies as usual. Today, I waited until 4 and took the whole pill, which seemed to work a lot better to curb my night time eating. I'm also having a hard time finding high protein snacks/meals since I am supposed to eat 6 small high protein meals a day. I'm not used to eating this much meat/cheese/eggs/etc. and I'm running out of ideas.

So, I guess I just need moral support, stories of successful weight loss, tips, advice, and high protein snack ideas. Also, if anyone has any experience with Phentermine/vitamin B12 shots, I would love to hear your story!
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Here is optimism: if you take in fewer calories than you burn (either from normal life or from exercise), it is physiologically & biochemically impossible NOT to lose weight.

Here is reality: trying to permanently lose weight from dieting alone is like rowing a boat with one oar. Once your body perceives a few days' worth of reduced calories, it goes into starvation lock-down mode and starts shunting your metabolism through all these accessory, energy-efficient pathways. We evolved/were designed (however you like to think of it) in times of few calories a lot more than in times of excess, so these pathways are very well engrained and automatic. That's why so many people have early success dieting and quickly plateau. 'Exercise' does not mean anything crazy. Push Rowan on a leisurely 1hr stroll and you'll burn 250 calories or so. But it is a necessary part of the equation.

Helpful advice: eat like Rowan! You gave me a lot of good food suggestions in the toddler meals thread. They were uniformly healthy, high in protein and good fats, with no processed sugars or tubs or lard or anything. Infants and very young children need a much, much higher portion of their calories to come from fat & protein (80%) than adults (50%). Obviously you need bigger portions than Rowan, but if you eat roughly when and why she eas,I think that's a great start.

Lastly-- the medication you were prescribed is a mild amphetamine. Which is fine, so is Ritalin, it's very mildly habit-forming. But read a bit on the side effects and share them with your husband, so he can be on the lookout if any of them develop.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    Here is optimism: if you take in fewer calories than you burn (either from normal life or from exercise), it is physiologically & biochemically impossible NOT to lose weight.

Here is reality: trying to permanently lose weight from dieting alone is like rowing a boat with one oar. Once your body perceives a few days' worth of reduced calories, it goes into starvation lock-down mode and starts shunting your metabolism through all these accessory, energy-efficient pathways. We evolved/were designed (however you like to think of it) in times of few calories a lot more than in times of excess, so these pathways are very well engrained and automatic. That's why so many people have early success dieting and quickly plateau. 'Exercise' does not mean anything crazy. Push Rowan on a leisurely 1hr stroll and you'll burn 250 calories or so. But it is a necessary part of the equation.

Helpful advice: eat like Rowan! You gave me a lot of good food suggestions in the toddler meals thread. They were uniformly healthy, high in protein and good fats, with no processed sugars or tubs or lard or anything. Infants and very young children need a much, much higher portion of their calories to come from fat & protein (80%) than adults (50%). Obviously you need bigger portions than Rowan, but if you eat roughly when and why she eas,I think that's a great start.

Lastly-- the medication you were prescribed is a mild amphetamine. Which is fine, so is Ritalin, it's very mildly habit-forming. But read a bit on the side effects and share them with your husband, so he can be on the lookout if any of them develop.
    Thanks Blade. I do own an elliptical machine and I am going to start being more diligent about using it at least 4-5 days a week. We try to go to the park and walk with Rowan a lot, especially now that the weather is nice. I already try to eat when she does, just because it's easier to eat when she's busy with her own food, and I generally do eat pretty healthy. But it's the night time snacking, after she goes to bed and we're sitting on the couch watching a movie or something... my self control goes out the window and eat way too much before I go to bed. If I can eat healthy throughout the day, exercise more, and avoid eating after 7 pm, I will lose weight. It's just so daunting.

I looked up the side effects of the drug, and I also had an EKG and blood work done before she prescribed it. So far, I'm not having any shortness of breath or palpitations which seem to be the most serious side effects. I do have crazy dry mouth though, which is good I guess, makes me drink lots of water.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is much help, but my husband and I have started to eat "Paleo." It seems like a fad diet, but I think there's a lot of truth in it too. I share this because the Paleo thing is really frigging hard to make meal plans around (we cook all meals at home and pasta + red sauce from a jar is a staple). Do you have a Pinterest account? This is the easiest way to start. It's a really appetizing way to look for recipes. If you search for Paleo dinner or Paleo snack or whatever you'll get a lot of very high protein, very low carb, minimal fat recipes/ideas.

Regarding the late night snacking, what does your pantry look like? What's the easiest thing to grab when you're tired, hungry, and exhausted? The worst thing you can do is have food that's for him only if he doesn't need to diet along with you. You two have to be on same page and eat the exact same things or it won't work. I've dieted alongside my husband every time he's dieted (I'd supplement with shakes so I wouldn't actually loose wt, though). In the evenings I can feel my blood sugar dropping after large dinners, and that's what usually leads to snacking, at least for me. I'll usually eat an orange with a little trailmix which helps me feel better.

We plan out 7-10 days worth of meals in advance. If you're interested I can share the recipes we're using for the next two weeks (all paleo approved). I hope some of this helps.
    Last edited by poppy528; December 31st, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

This might not be very optimistic and helpful, but...

My sister who's a little over weight started a diet a few months ago that's really working for her. It's just simple Italian food, she gets to eat all the things she loves but doesn't eat more than 1500 calories a day. She's dropped on an average 2 pounds a week. The books she gets the recipes from is by Gino d'Acampo (The Italian Diet and La Dolce Diet), and she basically eats what she normally eats just a tiny bit smaller portions and less sugar and oil. She even gets to have dessert! It's seriously brilliant, I've tried a few of the recipes and they are delicious.

I have never met anyone who's taken diet pills in any form who was able to keep the weight off. I have friends who've been on the Dukan Diet (a protein based diet) and they're always snacking on prawns, crispy bacon and hard boiled eggs.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]