View Poll Results: Natassia or Jessamine

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Natassia

18 25.71%
  • Jessamine

52 74.29%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Natassia looks made up to me. I would choose Jessamine.
    Latest list:

Girl: Lulu, Eden
    Boy: Leo, Wallace, Grady

Mommy to one sweet little boy who I loved naming Lennox Andrew Michael (Lex for short)

Quote Originally Posted by mclevine View Post
    @emilyva - Natasha is not a separate name, it's a nn for Natalia. Russians don't use nicknames as full names. And Nastasia is a nn too.
    First of all, that is not true. Lots of Russians have these nicknames as given names. And even if they started out as nicknames, now they are names.
    Natassia is a completely legitimate version of Natasha. Just because it's not the normal version given in English speaking countries doesn't make it less real. Natasha, Natashya, Natasia, Natassia, Natasja, the list could probably be longer but I can't be bothered.

Glad you liked one of them, I tried to find names that would fit your style, but I might've taken it too far...
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I think Jessamine fits the best with your other daughter's name. I also think that Jessamine has a more universal feeling to me (as in I don't have a distinct image of who a Jessamine is). I'm not familiar with Natassia but because of similar names it felt very eastern european to me (not a bad thing, but more specific in my mind). When I looked it up though there were a lot of posts on a Norwegian Nastassia (who is also part Malaysian). But I digress. I'm biased because I LOVE Jessamine and think it's gorgeous, but I also just think it fits better.
    Switching careers and becoming an RN! Sadly mommy plans will have to wait until that's done. Still loving names though!

Quote Originally Posted by ottilie View Post
    First of all, that is not true. Lots of Russians have these nicknames as given names. And even if they started out as nicknames, now they are names.
    Natassia is a completely legitimate version of Natasha. Just because it's not the normal version given in English speaking countries doesn't make it less real. Natasha, Natashya, Natasia, Natassia, Natasja, the list could probably be longer but I can't be bothered.

Glad you liked one of them, I tried to find names that would fit your style, but I might've taken it too far...
    Thank you Otilie! I think you both could be right. Traditionally Russians probably did use Natasha as a nickname, but today probably a few of them are given it as full name, the same way American (and other nation's) girls are given names like Tess (Teresa), Molly (Mary) and Sadie (Sarah. Also in American a lot of Russian diminutives have been use probably incorrectly as full names including Natasha, Sasha, and Misha (some of which I am aware are boys names). I would say these are sort of multicultural names. Finally On Sex and the City, Big's wife was named Natasha and I am unaware of her having another name besides Mrs. Big.

Since Sepphiria is a long, rare, ornate, 4-syllable girls' name which is a variant on the more common spelling (Sapphira), Natassia matches perfectly on all those counts.

However, I think they're too matchy. I think you're painting yourself into a corner a bit. I like Jessamine, which is very feminine and floral without being frilly. It's long and rare and formal, like Sepphiria.

Frankly too I don't like the prominent 'ass' in the middle of the name.

Perhaps you could change up the middles since neither Lyric nor Skye has meaning for you? Jessamine Willow Sage, Jessamine Opal Sage, Jessamine Nina Sage?
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aurea * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Fleur * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrrine * Rosamond * Seraphine * Sylvana * Thea * Verity / Blaise * Cyprian * Evander * Jules * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Quentin * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Farah / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Tariq