Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mathias? What do you think?

What do you think of the name Mathias (pronounced ma-thigh-is)? My husband suggested it and at first I hated it, but it's starting to grow on me.

I've mentioned using the name to a couple close friends, who have said it's 'too out there'. I'm not concerned about that, but I don't want to give him a name that he will be bullied for in school.

I think Matthias (my preferred spelling) is a great alternative to the megapopular Matthew. It may be "out there" for the general public but not here on Nameberry. Since ancient names are getting attention (Atticus, Elias, Marcus, Darius, Cassius, Maximus etc...), Matthias wouldn't be alone. If you and your DH love it, I would encourage you to choose it.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

My three brothers are Barnabas, Silas and Josiah, and if my parents had had a fourth son he would probably have been Matthias. It was a name my parents always liked, but it got nudged out by the similar-sounding Josiah when the third brother was born, and then the last babies were girls!
    I agree with mischa that Mathias/Matthias fits into the ancient-name subtrend. It also shares sounds with names that should be relatively familiar, based on statistics: Tobias, Elijah/Elias, Silas, Josiah, etc.
    For what it's worth, I've always liked it and never considered it too "out-there." Best wishes!
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet

I really like Mathias. I also like Mattias/Matias (Muh-tee-iss), maybe a bit more. I don't think it's really that "out there", it's a great alternative to the waaay overused Matthew, imo.

When I hear it, I think of the Redwall books I read when I was little... Mathias the mouse aha. I'm such a dork!
    Favourites at the moment ♥

Leah, Scarlett, Sophie, Claire, Vivian, Madeleine, Evangeline, Selena, Gillian, Nina, Mila, Heidi, Isla, Hazel, Annabelle, Lydia, Celia, Violet, Genevieve
    Elias, Eli, Dominic, Thatcher, Graham, Noel, Nolan, Chase, Mattias, Dean, Cole, Blake, Daniel, Ash, Rhys, Julian, Callum, Kieran, Aidan, Ronan

My cousin's name is Mathias, he's French-German and it's prn Ma-tea-us. I find ma-thigh-is odd, but it could just be what I'm used too. Where I grew up I knew two other Matthias/Mathias's and they both prn it like my cousin.

I think its a great alternative to Matthew.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)