Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alana vs Alanna

Welcome to Nameberry! I think the spelling Alana is much clearer and would save her a lifetime of aggravation over correcting people. I would pronounce Alanna uh-LANN-uh. If you want to honor your aunt Ann, you could do Alana Ann. I'm a sucker for alliteration anyway, and I love that combo.

I really like Alana better. I think with Alanna I'd be more inclined to say ah-lann-ah.
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

My instinct would be to say Ah-lah-nah either way, and I feel the same way--usually don't like extra letters but in this case I think Alanna looks prettier. My instinct is almost always to use softer vowels though, I might be in the minority.
    Some current considerations:

Sylvie Coraline | Etta Rosalie | Hazel Miranda | Margot Eliza | Vivienne Esme | Cora Madeleine
    Archer Daniel | Emmett Sebastian | Ezra Donovan | Theo Anderson | Lucian Matteo | Milo Vincent

I know girls named Alanna and Alana, and they are pronounced that same way: uh-LAH-na.
    Favorites:

Audrey * Margot * Josephine * Elizabeth * Katherine * Madeleine * Natasha * Amy

Alexander * Julian * Gabriel * Adrian * Laurence * Henry * Damian * Benjamin

I would pronounce them the same - uh-LAH-nuh. I prefer the Alanna spelling. It seems more feminine some how.