Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alana vs Alanna

Alana vs Alanna

I really love the name Alanna for a little girl, pronounced A-lah-na. While I'm usually not a fan of extra letters in names, I prefer the spelling Alanna over Alana because I feel like it looks more complete, and also I have an aunt with "Ann" in her name and I feel like it's a way to honor her somehow. I was just wondering if you can pronounce Alanna as A-lah-na, instead of A-lan-na, which I believe is the most common way to pronounce that spelling. What do you think?

I'd say 'al-anna' if I saw Alanna and 'al-ah-na' if I saw Alana. I think you'd need to correct everyone a lot.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I am friends with an Alanna, and she has never gotten al-anna, just Eh-lay-nuh (How?) or Alan-uh. I also love the name (see my sig), but it's one of those names that seems so simple to pronounce but people butcher it all the time. I do agree with you that Alanna looks more complete (and since I'm a fan of Tamora Pierce, I prefer that spelling), but I'm pretty sure both spellings require lots of correcting.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I have only ever heard both spellings being pronounced as ah-LAN-ah.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

I work with an Alana whose name is pronounced Ah-lay-nah and very few people pronounce it Ah-lay-nah; with that experience, I think you are pretty safe to spell it Alana. My cousin has a daughter Alaina which they added the i to ensuring the correct pronounciation. I agree with you on not adding extra letters unless absolutely necessary.
    Lover of names: Classic, Literary, Historical, or whatever strikes my fancy!

Current loves- Ada, Iris, Beata, Minna/James, Milo, Dermot, Ewan