Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alana vs Alanna

Alana vs Alanna

I really love the name Alanna for a little girl, pronounced A-lah-na. While I'm usually not a fan of extra letters in names, I prefer the spelling Alanna over Alana because I feel like it looks more complete, and also I have an aunt with "Ann" in her name and I feel like it's a way to honor her somehow. I was just wondering if you can pronounce Alanna as A-lah-na, instead of A-lan-na, which I believe is the most common way to pronounce that spelling. What do you think?

I'd say 'al-anna' if I saw Alanna and 'al-ah-na' if I saw Alana. I think you'd need to correct everyone a lot.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

I am friends with an Alanna, and she has never gotten al-anna, just Eh-lay-nuh (How?) or Alan-uh. I also love the name (see my sig), but it's one of those names that seems so simple to pronounce but people butcher it all the time. I do agree with you that Alanna looks more complete (and since I'm a fan of Tamora Pierce, I prefer that spelling), but I'm pretty sure both spellings require lots of correcting.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor maeve "lena" ~ vivienne isla ~ celia matilda "cici" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I have only ever heard both spellings being pronounced as ah-LAN-ah.
    Mama Bear to Serenity (gone January 17th, 2011) and Luther Wolf

I work with an Alana whose name is pronounced Ah-lay-nah and very few people pronounce it Ah-lay-nah; with that experience, I think you are pretty safe to spell it Alana. My cousin has a daughter Alaina which they added the i to ensuring the correct pronounciation. I agree with you on not adding extra letters unless absolutely necessary.
    Lover of names: Classic, Literary, Historical, or whatever strikes my fancy!

Current loves- Ada, Iris, Beata, Minna/James, Milo, Dermot, Ewan