Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

our "rules" are making it too hard to pick sister's name!

Hey all,

I haven't posted here before (just a lurker previously) but now that we know baby #2 is a girl, we're struggling with names. Here's why: between the two of us, we have too many rules to follow!

For me, I want a girl's name that is pretty, unique (anything from the top 200 social security list makes me cringe), and nickname-proof (I don't really like them in general, and hate when people who barely know you immediately start calling you by a shortened form of your name, so I'd prefer one that can't be easily altered).

My husband wants the name to be "a real name" (something that, even if unusual, is recognizable and not something "made up") that will age well - equally lovely at age 3 and at age 33. He'd especially like a name that is bird or nature-related, but it's not required.

Due to our last name, we both want to avoid names that rhyme with Hannah or end in an "uh" sound (like Hannah does).

Names I like that have been vetoed already: Willa, Celia, Bronwen, Imogen. Names he likes that have been vetoed already: Alice, Jocelyn, Tamara, Valerie. We've thought about Miriam, Mae, and Phoebe, but I'm just not sure how I feel about them.

By the way, girl #1 is Lorelei Jane, a name we came to fairly easily despite all of our crazy rules, so whatever we pick will have to coordinate with her.

Thanks in advance!
    Courtney (larking.)
    blog and Etsy shop

baby girl #2 due August 2013

Beatrix * Benjamin * Blythe * Bronwyn * Caleb * Eamon * Elliott * Emmett * Hazel * Imogen * Isaac
    Linnea * Lorelei * Maeve * Maren * Owen * Phoebe * Reuben * Saul * Silas * Siobhan * Sylvie * Willa

Mischa, so many great options. A lot we've discussed and have vetoed for various reasons - for example, I love the names Lark and Wren but my husband says they aren't "real" names so they're out. He loves the name Robin but I think it's too plain. I love Beatrix and Cecily, he says "too weird." He loves Violet, but I'm worried it's too popular. Sigh...

Taking out the can't/won'ts due to our long list of rules and the names of children of friends of ours, I love the following suggestions:
    Bryony (Briony?)
    Daphne
    Felicity
    Courtney (larking.)
    blog and Etsy shop

baby girl #2 due August 2013

Beatrix * Benjamin * Blythe * Bronwyn * Caleb * Eamon * Elliott * Emmett * Hazel * Imogen * Isaac
    Linnea * Lorelei * Maeve * Maren * Owen * Phoebe * Reuben * Saul * Silas * Siobhan * Sylvie * Willa

Last edited by bailibsmum; April 8th, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Dani mum to My little dude Bailey & my little minx Liberty
    ↓ Future names ↓
    K.P.T
    Phoenix, Elijah, Zeke, Logan

My first thought was Maeve (#590), but perhaps the more unknown Mavis might be better?

Amity
    Lilac
    Waverly
    Kestrel (bird)
    Carlotta
    Inez
    Raquel
    Viola
    Frances
    Elowen
    Eloise
    Cosette
    Corinne (COR-in)
    Leilani
    Adair
    Cassia (casha or cassie-ah)
    Bay
    Junia
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~