Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to find names you love?

For as long as I can remember, I've been really interested in names. However, I have these kind of "commitment issues" when it comes to names: as soon as a name is put on my list, it's gone almost instantly because I just don't like it anymore. For example, I recently put August on my boys list because I was absolutely enamoured by it, but shortly after I began to dislike it and thus it was no longer on my list.

I've switched styles a lot, from vintage names (Henry, Alice, Violet, Hugo, Penelope), but these were too popular for me so I moved onto whimsy nature names (Snow, Jasper, Zinnia, Finch), which I then decided were too matchy all together so I moved on to very regal, classic names (Ophelia, Alexandra, Phinnaeus, Amadeus), only to decide that I didn't want a long name, causing me to look at shorter names (Nora, Rome, Ivo, Lila), which I inevitably decided were too short. I've gone from the popular names (Hannah, Abigail, Joseph, Scarlett, Alexander) to the highly unusual (Zephyr, Skylark, Finland, Belladonna), but I wasn't happy either time. The only name I've ever LOVED is Luna, but my cousin used that for her daughter last year, so now it's a no-go for me.

It just seems that a lot of people on here have "THE names" and rarely change their minds, and they have this love for a handful of names that never seems to disappear. I've never loved a name and I've been doing this for years now.

So how did you find the "perfect" names for you?
    Last edited by ameliarj; April 9th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.

I'm in a similar position to you, so I'm interested in seeing what responses you get to this.

Maybe you'll just fall in love with a name one day? It might not be a case of you seeking it out, but merely stumbling across it?
    Alice. Marian. Juno. Branwen. Helena. Polly. Ophelia. Rosalind. Cosima. Matilda. Edith. Anna. Claudia. Frances.
    Arthur. Henry. Caspian. Stanley. Justice. Dexter. Edmund. Thomas. Nathaniel. Forest. Oscar. Lucian. Peter.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9782360
    http://listography.com/sapphires

Quote Originally Posted by sapphires View Post
    I'm in a similar position to you, so I'm interested in seeing what responses you get to this.
    Same here.

Maybe you'll just fall in love with a name one day? It might not be a case of you seeking it out, but merely stumbling across it?
    That's how I felt when I stumbled across Caspian and Liliana, but those are the only two.

The other names in my siggy could change any moment. I have done it numerous times. Heck, even Liliana changes back and forth with Lilia.

I would like to believe when the time comes for me to actually name a little human, it will come naturally when I see their darling little face. So far, I have names that are almost like backups. If I believe the little one does not seem like or fit a name, I can use my next beloved name--I would hope if the name was borderline, I would instantly love it more because it suits my child. Whatever the case, I know I would use a name that I had like at one point. If that makes any sense.

● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ●

c a s p i a n .. oberon .. raphael .. solomon .. zephyrus

a m a r y l l i s .. chrysanthe .. isabeau .. lilias .. samara

• ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● • ● •

I understand how you feel. I feel that a name with some kind of meaning to me works best. If a name is tied to literature, history or mythology, a namesake I love, admire or find fascinating, my love is less eager to sway... In some cases nature works too, but the tie needs to be unbreakable if that makes sense. I have new crushes all the time, but after I started the naming process for my baby I found this to be the way for me, I gave my daughter names of great Shakespearean characters . For even if you won't always love the name as much, the namesake will still be there, shining and glittering in beauty.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][CENTER]My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014[/CENTER][/FONT]

I get what you're saying, I fall in and out of love with names all the time. But I feel that since I'm not planning on naming any children soon it's ok that I don't have any solid top favorites and if I want to change my mind, I'm free to do so. But I don't discard a name I no longer consider my 'favorite' because I've realized often times I come back to them later, if that makes any sense?
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot