Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    My English class just finished reading Crime and Punishment and Romanov reminds me of Rodion Romanovitch Raskolnikov, the protagonist, as well as his sister, Avdotya Romanovna Raskolnikov. Romanov definitely sounds interesting as a name, but it's probably better for the GP list.
    ~inside this teenberry's mind ~
    ~
    Vote on combo possibilities (updated 4/5/14)
    ~
    Slowly reconstructing
    ~
    ♀ ~ Adair ~ Cassia ~ Cecilia ~ Cordelia ~ Ivy ~ Kestrel ~ Lyra ~ Mary ~ Petra ~ Shira ~

♂ ~ Benjamin ~ Caspian ~ Finnian ~ Jack ~ Julian ~ Levi ~ Nathaniel ~ Ronan ~ Tristan ~

☺ ~ Cassia Jane ~ Cordelia Alice ~ Ivy Seraphina ~ Lyra Genevieve ~ Mary Valentina ~ Shira Beatrix ~
    ~ Jack Peregrine ~ Julian Hawthorne ~ Ronan Wilder ~

Considering: ~ Finnegan ~ Lux ~

I'll admit Romanov does have a nice sound, but I also think it's hard to separate from the Tsar's family, and while there were some good Tsars (I'm partial to Alexander II), it's not a family I'd like to honour. I also think most people do know Romanov as being associated with the Tsar while Stuart and Bruce are common first and last names so the association isn't so strong. I had thought the name was associated with the royal family due to the election of Mikhail Romanov as Tsar in 1613. I had no idea it was linked to an archetypal Roman. You learn something new every day!

I also think the -ov ending makes it very surname-y, to contrast Stuart and Bruce. Russian first names don't typically end in -ov.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Wow, no. First there is the level of pretention of naming what I'm assuming is a regular kid with no Russian background (correct me if I'm wrong) the commonly-used surname of the Russian Imperial family. Honestly, why not Genghis or Cleopatra? It would come off very lowbrow, I think.

Second, the wealthy class of Russia caused so much suffering I can't imagine what a poor child would bear with that name. My exboyfriend's given name was Adolf. Adolf Greg & he went by Greg, because some names are hard to separate from people who had them and did bad deeds. This is one of those names.

Third, the whole Romanov family was (probably, we assume) executed by Bolsheviks, even the children. That's a heavy negative legacy I wouldn't wish on any kid.

So many negative associations.
    Latest list:

Girl: Lulu, Eden
    Boy: Leo, Wallace, Grady

Mommy to one sweet little boy who I loved naming Lennox Andrew Michael (Lex for short)

@jenna did you really know someone named Adolf who was born post-1945? That's incredible. Did you ever ask about the story behind his name?
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    @jenna did you really know someone named Adolf who was born post-1945? That's incredible. Did you ever ask about the story behind his name?
    It's his father's name & his father was named in Germany in the 30s. My ex's name is Adolf and his brother's is Rudolf after an uncle. Needless to say they both went by their middles. It's also why I never worry too much about my kid getting teased about their name, especially a middle (or in this case an unused first) No one ever knew his name unless he told them.
    Latest list:

Girl: Lulu, Eden
    Boy: Leo, Wallace, Grady

Mommy to one sweet little boy who I loved naming Lennox Andrew Michael (Lex for short)