Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ernie?

Ernie?

Is Ernie usable? I know the Sesame Street reference and wonder if its still usable.
    Also, Are there any full names for the nickname Ernie?
    • teenberry • Australia •

Iris Elettra - Delfina Inez - Freja Constantina - Emmanuelle Demeter
    Anton Rafael - Uriah Solomon - Ezekiel Ambrose (Zeke)

"And in that moment, I swear, we were infinite" - Stephen Chbosky

Ernest is the first full name that came to mind.

I don't care for Ernest at all, sorry. It doesn't have to do with the Sesame Street reference but more the fact that I find Ernest to be in the same category as Agatha and Beulah.
    ** The opinions expressed above are not meant to be reflective of Nameberry as a whole but are my opinion and mine alone. **

Mommy to:
    Henry Nathaniel (3) and Julia Paige (1)

Current favorites:
    Bennett - Emmett - Felix - Oliver - Owen - Preston - Samuel
    Abigail - Claire - Clara - Hope - Lydia - Maude - Molly

Ernest is a full name for Ernie. I like Ernest, but don't like Ernie at all (mainly because of Sesame Street!). I think if you named your son Ernie, he would definitely be teased.
    Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Flora - Jane - Mabel - Susannah

Arthur - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

Ernie is definitely the short form of Ernest. I do think Ernie is pretty strongly associated with Sesame Street, but I don't necessarily think that's a horribly negative association. It's not like he's a war criminal or a serial killer. It could get old to hear the jokes/references, though. "Hey, Ernie, where's Bert?" might come up a lot. I had a teacher named Ernie, though, and nobody said anything about it. I think it might be more of a playground thing, but I doubt it would persist into adulthood.

Ernest is a pretty cool name. One of those antique kinda names that feels like it could work for this generation. And it's got a cool meaning to go along with it. I like it quite a lot. Ernie I don't like as much, aside from the Sesame Street association (which I don't think is really a big deal), the main thing for me is the rather 'nasal-y' sound of it (hopefully you understand what I mean by that, I don't really know how else to express the somewhat high-pitched, back of the nose sound that is emitted when saying Ernie). It's just got a sound that irks me a bit. But it could be an okay nickname for a youngin', just not something that I think holds very well into adulthood.
    Updated Name List- http://www.ebabynames.com/list/eff115- Vote away...