Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help!

I really want to use the nickname Nyx for a character of mine, for various reasons, but I don't think Nyx would have been her original name realistically so (besides Nicole, and its variations) can anyone think of any names that Nyx could possibly be a variation of? Also, a last name for the Nyx/____ combo.

Also, on a separate note, my friend (not a Nameberry-goer) is writing a story and needs some advice on names...
    -an OCD, obsessively academic girl, aspires to work in law/politics, likes country music (current contenders are Jane, Alice, Margaret nn Meg and Diana, but I think she'd be open to more suggestions)
    -a laid-back, mellow guy that doesn't really care about anything, is into those faux-European dubstep band things (I think the temporary name is Lars)
    -a pair of female twins: one is quiet, cheerful, and a little dorky, and the other is a wild partier. For the first one, she said "something like Sydney," and I suggested Avery, with the second girl named May/Mae

Thanks so much!(:
    Last edited by bibliophile; April 7th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.

Beatrix might work.

Nixon (kind of strange on a girl but not that odd w/all the other unisex surname names)

I know you said besides variations of Nicole, but depending on the character's personality, Nicolette might be an interesting choice. It's such a contrast between ultra-frilly and girly Nicolette and sleek, tough Nyx that it could show some kind of transformation the character undergoes. Or something I'm not a writer!

I'm considering both Nixon (her parents are hardcore Republicans) and Nicolette, because it's just opposite enough of her that she's come up with a nickname like Nyx...still...

Do you have any ideas about the last part of my post?

Quote Originally Posted by moseycillbrand View Post
    Beatrix might work.

Nixon (kind of strange on a girl but not that odd w/all the other unisex surname names)

I know you said besides variations of Nicole, but depending on the character's personality, Nicolette might be an interesting choice. It's such a contrast between ultra-frilly and girly Nicolette and sleek, tough Nyx that it could show some kind of transformation the character undergoes.

I think Annika could work with the nn Nyx.

-an OCD, obsessively academic girl, aspires to work in law/politics, likes country music: Carolina, Magdalena, Lois, Penelope, Molly, Verity.

-a laid-back, mellow guy that doesn't really care about anything, is into those faux-European dubstep band things: Orion, Elliot, Bram, Reid, Rafferty, Alek, Arden

-a pair of female twins: one is quiet, cheerful, and a little dorky, and the other is a wild partier.

First Twin

Hannah
    Cordelia
    Annie
    Seren
    Millie
    Rachel

Second twin

Zoey
    Bree
    Nicole
    Dana
    Alana
    Esme
    Chloe
    Raina
    Libby Felicity Annalise Isla Phoebe Carina Violet Martha Ariana | Iowan Macsen Henry Isaac Jude Freddie Aneurin Niall Adair

I can't believe nobody has suggested Phoenix to get Nyx.
    Twenty-something SF & fantasy writer, name and language nerd in constant search of new names to bestow on defenseless characters. :-)

My list of all-time faves, continuously updated with new comments and thoughts.