Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Spelling deviance

Do you have preferred spellings that go against board (or real-world) norms? What are they?

Here are some of mine:

Sibyl / Sibylla - I'm genuinely baffled by the almost universal preference toward y-then-i here. Is it a Downton Abbey thing? Or what?
    Isidora - I get that Isadora is much easier to pass off as an Isabella alternative, but Isidora's so much cleaner-looking!
    Susanna - I'm 99% certain that the more common spelling (on these boards, at least) is Susannah. But the 'h' is so superfluous and dull, you guys!
    Erika - This is my name and I am biased.
    Geoffrey - Not that people are really clamoring to use Jeffery on the board, but in real-world terms, Jeffrey is ranked in the 200s (in the US) and Geoffrey is ranked...not at all
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"

I prefer Sibylla. It seems less like Sibyl with -la on the end.

Isidora I also prefer because its closer to the original meaning - "gift of isis"

I also prefer Susanna vs Susannah. Without the 'h' it seems so much cleaner.

And I also prefer Geoffrey - its so much more sophisticated.

It will take me a while to think of my favourites.
    cassia | vivian | flora
    peregrine | jolyon | arthur

I prefer Sybil/Sybilla, but that's probably because it's what my eyes are most used to, and therefore the other spelling jars slightly. Downton may be (okay, probably is ) a factor, and I also like the nn Billie which is less natural with Sibyl/la.

Similarly with Isidora/Isadora, I prefer the latter as it's what my eyes are adjusted to, although that doesn't mean I really have anything against the alternative. Also, I think I would pronounce the two slightly differently - iss-i-dor-a vs iz-uh-dor-a. Plus, the a gives the nn Sadie (although thinking about it, Sid would be pretty cute for the i spelling).

Susannah I prefer with the h. For me, it escalates it from being just another -anna name to something quirkier and more complete.

Geoffrey all the way, for me. I agree with pp, it seems much more sophisticated, and I love the history and depth of the name.

As for my own spelling deviances:
    Although I'm not a huge fan of either, I vastly prefer Norah to Nora. It removes some of the bluntness.

Edmund and Rosamund look far softer and more attractive to me than Edmond and Rosamond, both of which I see a lot.

I prefer Briony to Bryony by a mile, even though Bryony is the proper spelling of the plant, because it looks so much more feminine and dainty. All the Bryonys I've come across have had the y spelling.
    W h a t ' s . . .

Matilda | Adelaide | Hermione | Aurelia | Tallulah
    Edmund | Wilfred | Asa | Felix | Leander

. . . n e x t ?

I always preffered Erik/Erika over Eric/Erica. The "k" makes it seem fresh.

I prefer Catherine with a C, even though Katherine with a K is the most popular and most traditional. I like the literary association and the nickname "Cat". I love animal names.

I like Vivienne more than Vivian because it is french and sounds and looks better with my last name.

I also prefer Geoffrey over Jeffrey.

I also MUCH prefer Gillian over Jillian. The G makes seem elegant and fresh imo.
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!

Quote Originally Posted by uselesskitty View Post
    I also MUCH prefer Gillian over Jillian. The G makes seem elegant and fresh imo.
    My mother is name Gillian, so I've always thought the same haha. She's the only Gillian I know, but there is plenty of Jillian's around.

Some more names I like with a different spelling are;

Ariana, Arianna is much more common from where I live. I just like it with the one N.

Annabel instead of Annabelle. I used to prefer Annabelle but then it looked too frilly for me (I find Annabel a frilly name anyway).

I much prefer Louis to Lewis. Lewis is extremely popular where I live...There were 5 in my year at comprehensive school. There were also a few Lewys' too. I think it looks a bit better than Lewis.
    Libby Felicity Annalise Isla Phoebe Carina Violet Martha Ariana | Iowan Macsen Henry Isaac Jude Freddie Aneurin Niall Adair