Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    I think it's is really simple: no one likes being lied to. It feels disrespectful to the people out there who really are pregnant teenagers or parents of multiples with complications or what have you.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Mazarine Cosima Odette Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr

@egilona

1) Yes: threads claiming to be about real pregnancies, especially multiples, nearly ALWAYS get more replies and attention
    2) There is a very, very strong aspect of wish-fulfillment to this
    3) ** It is no fun to concoct a fantasy identity unless you tell everyone all about it! That's why the pathognomonic sign of fakers is immediate, early over-sharing, in addition to implausiblility.**

Like augusta_lee I like detecting frauds, just cause. But I've stated before I think the predilection of faking [I don't call it trolling since is usually isn't-- fakers want to 'pass' and get attention/sympathy/congratulations on their excellent taste, no stir up trouble] is troublesome for two reasons:
    - it detracts attention from real parents who want to name real babies, and need help- we waste time on the decoys
    - it stretches the credulity of the community at large, casting an unfair pall of suspicion over real posters
    Last edited by blade; April 4th, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by egilona View Post
    aw man I was like "alas, math!" and then all of the numbers went whoosh right over my head like first order derivatives or possibly an airplane

I don't understand why people think they need to concoct some bizarre fantasy life or create phantom children/fetuses in order to discuss names. Is it that they're gluttons for feedback and think the best way to max out the number of replies to their threads is to lead other posters to believe they're expecting? (Incidentally, do posters who claim that they are expectant parents get more replies to their threads? My gut says yes, but listening to my gut is no valid form of statistical analysis.) Is it some kind of vicarious living/wish fulfillment thing? Or do they just get a rush out of screwing with people?

I don't mind fakers too much unless they start to get creepy. For example, when people try to pass off pictures of other people as themselves/their family: that is creepy. Ugh

See, we are tabletop and online gamers and we do a lot of roleplaying and making up characters and backstories......I don't see why these people wouldn't just do that?

Fascinating stuff, D.I Blade Keep up the good work!
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Quote Originally Posted by geeknamezyo View Post
    I think it's is really simple: no one likes being lied to. It feels disrespectful to the people out there who really are pregnant teenagers or parents of multiples with complications or what have you.
    Well said!
    Ttc a baby brother or sister for Luther Wolf!