Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by madi13 View Post
    Why do you obsess over this? Yes, there are trolls. They will probably all never go away. It's rediculius to obsess over this this much.
    It hurts the blog and its members, that's why. They may not ever go away but that doesn't mean their numbers can't at least be diminished some.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting!
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

Why "obsess" over baby names? Most people find a barely post-pubescent girl's membership on this site to be odd, frankly. Who cares?

I like to try to describe and predict human behavior. It's a beautiful thing, to apply an algorithm to meaningless noise and suddenly see a pattern.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

As for the "why care about fakers" argument: I don't know about Blade, but speaking for myself I have kind of an obsession with frauds and cons throughout history, from alchemy to art and identity theft. These kind of forum personas also exist at a really interesting apex of internet culture. And hey, who doesn't enjoy calling someone out when they try to sell you a heap of bull?

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Mariner | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    It's more than just a few fake threads, though, that's the thing. I think that it breaks down the integrity of the board and casts an air of doubt over other members who ARE truthful. I'm not saying you need to tell us everything about yourself, put your name out there or say anything about your life but don't make stuff up, either.

What bothers me is not really the ones who are super transparent and just post a few times and move on - but I have been on "name" forums for close to a decade and I can tell you from personal experience that some of these people take it REALLY far! I have seen people do everything from fake the death of children to become very close, personal friends with people only to be outed and the people who reached out and became friends with them were left there scratching their heads and feeling taken advantage of and quite frankly - creeped out - because this person who they shared friendship and personal stories with ended up not being who they said they were.

I had one girl on another site come on and make up this complex story about her being 16 and pregnant and trying to get through everything, for some reason she reached out to me specifically (and a few others) and we took pity on her and really tried to give this girl emotional support. She eventually slipped up and upon some investigation she ended up NOT being who she said she was, she was not pregnant, was not going through any of the emotional issues that she made up and it just left everyone she had gotten close to feeling very sick and betrayed.

It's not as innocent and harmless as people make it out to be.
    Oh, I know that some people can take it too far, but I don't know how you could really police it unless the same person is making hundreds of threads from the same computer. It's easy to lie on the internet and I think most people do it relatively harmlessly. I've never personally lied about my life, but for those who do I imagine it's just a need for attention.

I do agree that there's a big difference between someone who lies and says "I'm pregnant" rather than "I'm looking to conceive in the next 5 years" and someone who makes hundreds of "joke" threads or leads people on for months on end with a complicated backstory.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin