Names Searched Right Now:
Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by madi13 View Post
    Just clarifying here, blade. You said that it's odd for a teenage girl to be a member on this site? I am a teenager and I'm obsessed with names. I am a member on this site to share my name list and get feedback. Can't you just ignore trolls posts? When you post saying you are a troll, you are doing what they call "feeding the trolls" which means you're encouraging them. They'll keep posting lies if you keep responding to it. And some people who you accuse of being trolls may not be trolling. People like you annoy me. You're on this site to accuse people of being trolls while I'm on here to offer name advice and seek feedback for my name list. Who has the time to analyze all of that? Aren't you a Sergeon or something? Don't you have a son to take care of? Stop obsessing over the trolls and start living (enjoying) life.
    No, I am not a Sergeon.

Your reading comprehension is about as bad as your spelling; you called me a weirdo for tabulating these stats, and I responded by saying we all have our passions, baby names being a shared one, which 'outsiders' judge as odd. Many people would think your presence on a site like nameberry was unusual; we of course do not, and in a similar vein people might find me spending an hour calculating proportions strange.

I was actually being nice to you, but don't worry, I won't make that grave error in judgment again.
    Blade, MD

XY: AR
    XX: CVN

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

Quote Originally Posted by raptreverie View Post
    Wow, very interesting. Thanks for sharing, Blade!

For any other math people out there (and to answer your question, Blade), I decided to run a few independent samples t-tests, grouping data from before the fourth quarter of 2012 (so, 1/12, 2/12, and 3/12) and after (4/12 &1/13). Using Blade's calculations, I analyzed whether there was a statistically significant difference in the proportion of girls to boys, proportion of multiples to singletons, excess girls (observed/predicted), and excess twins (observed/predicted). I didn't really expect to find much since our sample size is so small, but there was a statistically significant difference in the amount of excess girls (t(3)=-5.45, p<.05)!!! Specifically there was a smaller proportion of observed/expected girls in and after the fourth quarter of 2012 (M=1.30, SD=.02) than before (M=1.44, SD=.03). So...good work team sleuths!! Maybe as our sample size grows we'll find more statistical differences!!

I was also wondering whether there is a difference in the prevalence of multiples based on socioeconomic status (SES)? I'm thinking that those with higher SES might be more likely to use fertility medication which, as stated in the original post, lead to higher rates of multiple births...right? I can also imagine that the mean SES of nameberry members is a bit higher than US national average as well. If these two assumptions are correct, it may not be fair to compare nameberry to the general US population (which is where we're getting our stat of 3.31% twins). Of course, my assumptions could be incorrect and this would have no baring on the excess report of female births.
    Thanks much for doing the formal calculations. I almost--almost-- opened GraphPad but thought it might be too much for one post. Fascinating to know that there is a significant difference between pre- and post-crackdown, thanks again.

Re: multiples and SES: two conflicting trends here. The first is ART, which is responsible for the 2.5x increase in twinning and the 80-fold increase in triplets. However the natural rate of twinning is highest in populations of African descent (1/55), which include African-Americans obviously and some US Hispanics (I.e. Dominicans, etc). Sadly of course as an aggregate those populations have a lower average SES than the general pop. However, ART is responble for the excess so if you were a betting woman you should bet that a family with multiples is decently well-off.
    Last edited by blade; April 5th, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
    Blade, MD

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Myrra * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Maysan _ Iman / Altair _ Fahd _ Faraj _ Khalil _ Najid _ Rafiq _ Tariq

I'm not great at math so I admit I kind of glossed over the stats, but the general idea of it shocked me. It makes me sick to think that out there people are playing with the sympathies of others. I'm not as intense about fighting against trolls as a lot of other Berries seem to be, but I agree they should be stopped if possible. I'm horrible at picking them out- mostly just when the stories are ridiculously unrealistic.

madi13, blade's just trying to point out a problem and make Nameberry better. Clearly she has the time to analyze these things, otherwise why would she have? You don't have to read these threads if you don't want to- and evidently lots of other people do. There are still lots of us happy to give and receive name advice.
    ~Love names, literature, royals and horses~ <3

Favourite names:
    Girls: Azalea, Cordelia, Elizabeth, Rosalind, Scarlett, Portia, Felicity, Juliet
    Boys: Fitzwilliam, Sebastian, Percival, Prospero, Orlando, Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by madi13 View Post
    Just clarifying here, blade. You said that it's odd for a teenage girl to be a member on this site? I am a teenager and I'm obsessed with names. I am a member on this site to share my name list and get feedback.

She didn't say that; she said that from an outsider's perspective a teenager being obsessed with names could be perceived as being as odd as a mom doing statistical analysis on fake babies. Some people like names, some people like stats, no matter how incomprehensible that may seem from the outside.

I think that simply presenting a united front against trolling and faking can work wonders. Just knowing that the forum administration and members are serious about not letting people just 'get away' with it. All it takes is a write-up in the rules that says, "faking, lying and trolling the forum will not be tolerated and you will be banned from the forum if you are caught doing the above". That's it. Make up a fake baby and someone happens to find a hole or inconsistency in your story? Gone from the forum. Many people would be deterred by that, and it doesn't mean that members need to immediately call out suspicious actions without proof or go on witch
    hunts. Just knowing that the admins are serious about it when it does happen is enough to prevent (some) people from taking the risk.
    Melissa, Mama to Oscar Leopold.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9653103

Quote Originally Posted by jc54 View Post
    Hmmmm........or can it be the ULTIMATE FAKER who presumes to have a two year old, but STILL has the time to "Do the MATH" and at the same time also LOVES these PATS on the BACK from all of these posters???
    You know, my first thought upon reading this was "methinks the lady doth protest too much," but then a rational voice prevailed and said "no one who was herself lying would invite scrutiny in such a manner." but then I clicked on her posting history....

I'm on my iPad so can't do quotes or links, but oh boy. First she has three kids, then one and one on the way, then they all disappear. First her name is Jordan, then Jackie, then Jacqueline Claire. She's obsessed with the name Francine-- at first it was her brothers girlfriend but then-- wait for the troll trifecta-- it was a "beautiful 10year old girl I met when I was very very sick in the hospital." It's hilarious. Check it out before she deletes/edits it all into oblivion.
    Blade, MD