Names Searched Right Now:
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    For the real serious fake lives addicts: there is a decent amount of subclinical personality pathology, imo. Both the delight & joy they take in fooling others, and the 'splitting' and desire for complete self re-invention.

@oliviasarah: I always find it very interesting when admitted/past fakers discuss their motivations. I think you're right, for the most part it's harmless younger girls wishing they were in the next stages of their life. It often doesn't need to be anything too deep: one woman whom we called out admitted she'd heard a weird name on the playground and created an internet persona around a mother with 8 children, one of them with the weird name, to see if everyone else agreed that the name was horrid. Simple as that.

@redwoodfey I tried to read the Ms.Scribe saga but only made it a few thousand words in before getting bogged down and bored. I actually thought she was clever, though very transparent, and should go into social marketing since she's pretty genius at viral self-promotion.
    Blade, I'm fairly certain she is in marketing, and probably why she was so good at it. I agree, she was quite clever. As I said, I find it fascinating. And yes, it's a long, long read!
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Sophronia Blanche ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

@redwoodfey I tried to read the Ms.Scribe saga but only made it a few thousand words in before getting bogged down and bored. I actually thought she was clever, though very transparent, and should go into social marketing since she's pretty genius at viral self-promotion.
    You might want to check out the Cassandra Claire/Clare plagiarism saga, which is more exciting for the sole reason that CC got a real-life publishing contract on the strength of fanfiction that was heavily and extensively plagiarized from actual authors...and then, after her 'Mortal Intruments' series debuted, had all her fanfiction scrubbed from the internet. And she would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling kids and their dog! -- except, wait, she totally got away with it and now her books are being made into a movie. Sigh.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Marlowe | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

@egilona

1) Yes: threads claiming to be about real pregnancies, especially multiples, nearly ALWAYS get more replies and attention
    2) There is a very, very strong aspect of wish-fulfillment to this
    3) ** It is no fun to concoct a fantasy identity unless you tell everyone all about it! That's why the pathognomonic sign of fakers is immediate, early over-sharing, in addition to implausiblility.**
    Re: #3 - I agree, and I think this is an especially good indicator of a faker when the topic of names becomes secondary to the supposed details of the poster's "life"

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    You might want to check out the Cassandra Claire/Clare plagiarism saga, which is more exciting for the sole reason that CC got a real-life publishing contract on the strength of fanfiction that was heavily and extensively plagiarized from actual authors...and then, after her 'Mortal Intruments' series debuted, had all her fanfiction scrubbed from the internet. And she would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling kids and their dog! -- except, wait, she totally got away with it and now her books are being made into a movie. Sigh.
    Cassandra Cla(i)re makes me want to barf
    on my mind, for the moment

Daria | Athena | Ramona | Winifred | Maeve | Blythe | Nadine | Dorothea | Margot | Cyra | Renata | Hypatia | Junia | Thisbe

Flynn | Otto | Winston | Claude | Leif | Roald | Tavish | Lionel | Cormac | Tobin | Oswin | Rory | Damon | Tycho

Mildred "Red" ☆ Obedience "Bede" ☆ Relief "Leafy" ☆ Dorothea "Doro" ☆ Penelope "Pen" ☆ Ruth "Rue" ☆ Eudoxia "Exie"

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    I am familiar with her story. I started reading her Mortal Instruments book when it first came out, but after a few chapters I put it down because it felt like it had borrowed from too many other sources, plus I was bored. I used my google-fu and started reading about her and never picked her books up again. I can't support someone who steals from other writers. I despise stealing of all sorts, having been the victim of thieves many times, but stealing words sickens me.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Sophronia Blanche ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    I just switched from WoW to GW2. I played WoW since beta! I even met my SO on WoW, 7? 8? years ago. I'll always have a special place in my heart for Azeroth, but I think I'm finally done. GW2 is taking some getting used to, but so far I really like it. The character selection is pretty damn cool if nothing else! Plus it's F2P, no more monthly subscription, yay! I got to play a demo of Neverwinter last summer at PAX Prime in Seattle. It was fun, I'm sure you'll like it. We play DnD tonight! I just started playing this past winter and it's been a lot of fun. I'm playing a bard, and even got to compose some ballads and limericks. We should be finishing up our campaign tonight.

In naming news, I named my engineer on GW2 Hypatia Sabine Rose. I am so in love with her.
    I may look into GWs, then - the F2P is a big factor, honestly, I was kind of getting annoyed with paying the 30.00 a month for both of us and oh - then they put in pretty new pets and so I had to buy those, too, of course, it was a money suck that we didn't need. I'm so jealous you get to DnD! I would so love to find a group to do it with. You would think that being in a college town would help, but we have yet to find others. The only thing people around here seem to play is Magic and it's fun, but....eh, a lot of them are really young kids and we're wanting other adults to play with. Hypatia Sabine Rose is lovely!