Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    I'm very impressed with Blade's math skills as this not an approach I would naturally think of taking to see how many fakers there are. I agree with some of the posters above, I think these people want attention and weirdly, like it when people they don't know and who might be fakers themselves comment on the situation. I'm pretty much in the same boat with Daisy although I haven't been at it as long. My friends think my posting so much on this site and caring/having so many opinions about names are strange hobbies, but then, they kind of expect this sort of thing from me! I'm just delighted to share my love for Cordelia, Sebastian, Aloysius, etc. and find others who value these names too.

I'm not sure that I understand what this is??...or why it is?? When I first saw the post I was afraid to click on it for fear it was a spam or a virus.

Crazy to see the numbers like that! I agree with daisy451, I don't understand why people can't just be up front about who they are. I think I've been pretty clear about the fact that all my posts are 100% theoretical and I still get responses. What I mean to say is that it's really not worth making these false identities when most berries are just as welcoming to people without the ridiculous backstories.

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodfey View Post
    Ditto!! I recently started playing GW2. When I discovered how elaborate the names can be on that game I about peed my pants. I'm sad I can only have 5 characters because I have so many names I'd like to use for additional characters. I get mad every time I see a character running around with the name Facesmasher or Wklgurhxx. You could come up with any name, any freaking name out there, and that's what you went with? How creative.

In regard to the topic: I don't have a problem with most of the fakers, because most of them don't post ridiculous stories. They post a SUPER INTERESTING (imagine sparkles and rainbows shooting out of super interesting) name in the birth announcements and then go away forever. Obviously the ones who take it a step further and hog the boy/girl (usually girl) forums with advice on SUPER INTERESTING names for multiples are a bit of an issue because the people looking for honest feedback on the more simple names get ignored or missed.

I'm not saying all SUPER INTERESTING names are fakes, btw. I'm aware that some berries really do prefer the rarer names. I prefer them myself.

I have a huge problem with the ones who play up the rape, abuse, illness, death card. I find it revolting.

Someone mentioned the early over sharing is a pretty good indicator. IMO, it's the best indicator. In all honesty, I'm fascinated with this part of internet culture (fascinated in a car wreck way-- horrifying but you can't look away). The lengths some people go to with their stories is, well, insane. Have any of you seen the movie/documentary Catfish? I really enjoyed it, regardless of how true it is or isn't. It's interesting to me seeing how our culture is changing as technology is. Anonymity really brings out who we are. We're changing in the obvious ways (less socialization in real life, more online socialization), but it's the subtle changes that are the most worth paying attention to. The cruel things people have no problem typing but would never say in person, the loss of beautiful penmanship (), and of course, mental illness/ personality disorders allowed to be channeled in such a way that the people they know in real life would never suspect.

I think most of the really out there fakers have Munchausen by Internet. "Experts say that what they now call “Munchausen by Internet” affects primarily the same groups of people at risk for Munchausen Syndrome itself: mainly women, starting in their late teens or early 20s, often with personality disorders and typically those who work in a medical field like nursing" (http://healthland.time.com/2012/11/3...nesses-online/ ). I'm not sure this particular brand of munchausen by internet fits with the last part (being in the medical field), but young females? I'd say absolutely, yes.

Is anyone familiar with the Msscribe fiasco? If true, it's the most elaborate case of sockpuppeting I've ever heard of. Worth a read if you have several hours to do so and you're as bored/ interested as I was. http://www.journalfen.net/community/bad_penny/1074.html

Anyway, it's neat to see real numbers like that, so thanks for posting.

I've never tried GW's, we recently quit WoW, though, after quite a long run. (This last expansion is just awful for people who don't have 40 hours a week to dedicate to just farming gear), the new Neverwinter Nights MMO is coming into open beta on April 30th and I am SO stoked! I am a DnD fan, we don't really have a group to DnD with but I'm just a huge fan of the whole thing. (We DO play Dragonstrike with each other, though, like giant nerds). I had the same experience when I started playing WoW - I got to use names I loved and I once made a list of all the variations of trendy names I saw on other people's toons. (The sheer number of Madysin's and Jayden's is appalling, lol).

I never thought of Munchausen's, but it totally makes sense to me.

I don't understand why people feel the need to waste their time creating make-believe lives, but I do know it's a very real phenomenon. A girl I went to high school with has been creating and maintaining multiple completely fake Facebook profiles for years. I honestly wonder sometimes if there are some sort of social or emotional issues behind all the pretending. Honestly, this is why I'm very leery and cautious about posting congrats on birth announcements. It has come to my attention that some have been fake, and that infuriates me to no end.
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Susannah, Loretta, Georgia, Theodora
    Viggo, Thaddeus, Woodrow, Laszlo