Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I think there are several names rolling around with the same sound.

1) Merit, directly transliterated from Ancient Egyptian, not currently given by the Copts, meaning 'beloved'
    2) Merit, the common everyday English word for worthiness, value.
    3) Marit, a Danish contracted form of Margaret-- spelled Merit in Swedish, Maaret in Finnish, Maret in Estonian, etc
    4) Merritt, an English surname
    5) Meirit, prn 'Myer-eet', Hebrew feminine form of Meir meaning 'giving light'
    6) Merit/Mirit, prn 'Meer-eet,' a very popular Amharic name which is a form of Miriam

I would use the spelling of the meaning/etymology which attracts you the most. If you want something sea-related, I like Meraud, which is Cornish.
    Blade, MD

XY: Antoine Raphael
    XX: Cassia Viviane Noor

Aquila * Chrysanthe * Emmanuelle * Endellion * Ione * Jacinda * Lysandra * Melisande * Mireia * Petra * Rosamond * Seraphine * Silvana * Theophane / Blaise * Cyprian * Darius * Evander * Giles * Laurence * Lionel * Malcolm * Marius * Peregrine * Rainier

كنوز الصحراء الشرقية Hayat _ Qamar _ Sahar _ Amal _ Hanan / Altair _ Fahd _ Ilyas _ Sajjad _ Saqr _ Tariq

I love Merit for you it is amazing with Rowan Im so glad you found something you loved.

Asher on a girl is lovely I prefer it on a girl actually.

Just a suggestion quickly do you like Joss or Jocelyn on a girl
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Ruby★Charlotte☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Deacon☆Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆

On first thought, I was hoping this was Marit, mare EET.

Merit is just odd to me. It's a word for worthiness, value, to most people, I can't imagine that not being the first point of reference if they heard /saw Merit as a name.

Merritt reads as a surname to me, but at least it's a name of sorts, though certainly not one I am fond of.

I suppose the problem here is that we two seem to have very different tastes in names.
    Melissa, Mama to Oscar Leopold.

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9653103

Quote Originally Posted by blade View Post
    I think there are several names rolling around with the same sound.

1) Merit, directly transliterated from Ancient Egyptian, not currently given by the Copts, meaning 'beloved'
    2) Merit, the common everyday English word for worthiness, value.
    3) Marit, a Danish contracted form of Margaret-- spelled Merit in Swedish, Maaret in Finnish, Maret in Estonian, etc
    4) Merritt, an English surname
    5) Meirit, prn 'Myer-eet', Hebrew feminine form of Meir meaning 'giving light'
    6) Merit/Mirit, prn 'Meer-eet,' a very popular Amharic name which is a form of Miriam

I would use the spelling of the meaning/etymology which attracts you the most. If you want something sea-related, I like Meraud, which is Cornish.
    Blade, how do you know all these things? It's fascinating.

I like the name but I think I like the Maret spelling. Very spunky but exotic and it keeps it from being too word-namey. (That is not a word, but I just made it one... haven't had coffee yet... very bad)
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

I'm not exactly sure on how it is pronounced, but I prefer the spelling Merit.

I know a female Asher. Back then I didn't know that it was primarily a masculine name.