Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Red face Thoughts on Merit?

Just wanted to get some feedback on this name before it officially goes on my list. What are your thoughts/opinions/feelings towards Merit? And should I spell it Merit or Merritt? I know they are technically 2 different names, which one is more appealing?

My "list," puny I know...

Sawyer
    Merit/Merritt
    Asher (yes, for a girl.)
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

I adore Merritt. Very handsome, very masculine, and something substantial for a young man to aspire to. I've known exactly one IRL, and he was just an all-around good guy.

I know a little girl named Merit, and it's very precious on her. She's a sweet, round-faced, blond two year old. I personally prefer it by leaps and bound above Sawyer and Asher for a girl and think it goes the best as a sister for Rowan.

As for the spelling, I think I prefer Merit to Merritt. However, I think this is mostly because of my personal associations (Merit = coworker's daughter; Merritt = annoying boy who I went to high school with). If you're up in the air about it, I'd go with the meaning you like the best.

I love Merit Mostly for the aforementioned ancient Egyptian connection. In the second part of that programme I finally saw it written down. It seems the direct hieroglyphics to English is 'Meryt' but I think Merit is probably better. A basic Google says it means 'beloved'. Adorable all round!
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I went to school with a young woman named Maret, which I suspect was a family name. I personally prefer Maret or Merritt because Merit as a word name seems a bit self-indulgent or self-congratulatory to me.