Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    There seems to be varying origins for Merit.

Also an atheist, and it plays a huge role in naming for me so I understand your hesitation.

It is related to Meritus, which is the latin virtue word meaning "deserving".
    But I've also seen the English and Egyptian connections online. Which make it much more appealing for me.
    I grew up going to catholic school so that's where I got the reference for it, but I doubt many other people would make that connection.
    Mama to ~Rowan Josephine 1/12~
    and ~Teagan Dahlia~ 5/13~

I like Merit and prefer Merit.
    Sorry for bad English, I am from other country

Love Merit!
    I really like Sawyer for a girl,and I think that using Asher for a girl is fine.
    14 year old name addict

Those are all boys' names. Therefore, I like them on a boy.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Wren or Simon Adler | Alice Violetta or Atlas Dov | Julian 'Jules' River or Juniper 'Joon' Lovelace | Roscoe Fox or Marlowe Fritz | Jane Lucinda or Lucien Wilde | Louisa Valor or Eloise March | Ivan Elliot or Iris Cordelia | August Jack or Jasper Hale | Dashiell Jude or Judah Reeve | Thea Marina or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Finnegan Wallace or Felix Raphael

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by rowangreeneyes View Post
    Oh, I'm definitely going to mention the Egyptian connection to my husband, he loves anything about Ancient civilizations. Does it mean "beloved" in Egyptian? I thought it could have something to do with ocean or sea with the Mer- beginning but I'm probably wrong.
    I know this is Wiki, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merit-Ptah.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie413 View Post
    I grew up going to catholic school so that's where I got the reference for it, but I doubt many other people would make that connection.
    I went to Catholic school too The only merit I can think of was to do with out merit system where we got 'points' for being good and then certificates and prizes at the end of the year. Is that the reference?
    Last edited by renrose; April 3rd, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.