Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    I don't know how people keep getting 'demerit'. Demerit is a different word. Demerit bad, Merit good. I didn't go to catholic school so I guess it's not that strong an association for me. The 'worst' thing I can think of is a merit badge like in scouting, and that's actually a reward so it's a positive association, in a sense. I have it on my long list (for a boy, but as a virtue/word name I consider it unisex. it's cute on a girl too!).

Also, I live on the east coast USA and have never heard of Merit cigarettes.

I really like Merit, and I LOVE Asher on a girl. The only (human) Asher I know is female and she wears it well. Sawyer on a girl is okay. They all sound great with Rowan
    contemplating combos:
    August David Dodge · August Henry Dodge · Barnaby Viggo Paul · Barnaby Atlas Paul
    Leona Vesper Lynn · Vivian Lillie Revere · Florence Patricia Mae · Zelda Katherine Rose

I prefer Sawyer with Rowan because I think the two share a spunky vibe and I like the literary connection. Merit does nothing for me and it certainly doesn't compare to Rowan's name imo.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

For me, Merritt is more appealing!

Quote Originally Posted by dindlee View Post
    Blade, how do you know all these things? It's fascinating.

I like the name but I think I like the Maret spelling. Very spunky but exotic and it keeps it from being too word-namey. (That is not a word, but I just made it one... haven't had coffee yet... very bad)
    Thanks for all the information Blade! The only reason I don't like the Maret spelling is because it looks like Margaret to me for some reason... and I think Merit is more straightforward in pronunciation. It looks like Maret should be pronounced MAR-et, like CAR.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by greyer View Post
    I don't know how people keep getting 'demerit'. Demerit is a different word. Demerit bad, Merit good. I didn't go to catholic school so I guess it's not that strong an association for me. The 'worst' thing I can think of is a merit badge like in scouting, and that's actually a reward so it's a positive association, in a sense. I have it on my long list (for a boy, but as a virtue/word name I consider it unisex. it's cute on a girl too!).

Also, I live on the east coast USA and have never heard of Merit cigarettes.

I really like Merit, and I LOVE Asher on a girl. The only (human) Asher I know is female and she wears it well. Sawyer on a girl is okay. They all sound great with Rowan
    Kind of interesting everyone knows female Ashers. The only Ashers I have ever met are little boys under 6 (same with Rowan, haha) I live in NC and I've never heard of the cigarette brand either.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.