Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Your favourite Irish-feeling boys' names?

A friend of mine is having a boy in a couple of months, I was telling her how much help I'd gotten from Nameberry and she wanted me to see if I could find her any suggestions.

She's of Irish ancestry and feels strongly connected to that aspect of her heritage, so she would like to use an Irish name either for the first or the middle name. She was thinking of maybe an Irish-feeling version of one of the male names (mainly John, Eugene or William) from her husband's family, so that they're both represented. She is considering Eoghan, which looks like Eugene even if it isn't pronounced like it lol, because she likes the meaning. Any other ideas or thoughts for her?

(She doesn't necessarily only want Irish versions of these particular names, she's pretty open-minded at the moment
    Last edited by inthemorning; April 3rd, 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Sean & Liam come to mind as variants of John and William.

There's also:

Oisin
    Dermot
    Seamus
    Rory
    Quinn
    Ciaran
    Dara
    Colm
    Eamonn
    Niall
    Cian
    Fergal
    Finn

Oh man, I can't believe neither of us even thought of Liam *facepalm* :P

Yes, Liam is perfect! As well as:

Evan
    Ewan
    Hugh
    Ian
    Shane
    Sean
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

You know, my favorite Irish boys' name just never gets much attention... Tadhg. Sounds like "tiger" without the -er. I love it.